LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Timing mark inspection cover

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Timing mark inspection cover

Postby sunrisemac » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:04 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone got a flywheel cowling with a hole and cover plate so ignition timing can be checked without taking off bits of panel?
sunrisemac

Re: Timing mark inspection cover

Postby Knowledge » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:30 am

You mean like PX Vespas?

I think the answer has got to be NO. I don’t think it would be accurate enough given the structure of the flywheel and the wobbly cowling.

I suppose you could set the timing with the cowlings off, the fit the cowling and drill a hole in the cowling, say 6mm at 12 o’clock or 1 o’clock, to coincide with a passing fin on the fan. A blob of white paint on the top of the fin and you should be able to see it (stationary) through the drilled hole with a strobe gun.

However, if you have set the timing and strobed it with the cowling off, why would you need to check it again with the cowling on?
Knowledge

Postby sunrisemac » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 pm

I've got a chiselspeed timing advance unit fitted and I wanted to be able to see the result of moving the pointer, (using my strobe), to different positions as there is nothing obvious to say which way the indicator is pointing.

The timing marks are ones I have etched on the mag housing and flywheel using a dti down the plug hole in my modified spark plug that I originally made to check TDC on a Cosworth DFV.

I might add I've no idea what a Vespa PX looks like under the panels.........
sunrisemac

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:58 pm

I have an inspection grommet fitted to the cowling on my TS1.
I used an oval grommet from the inner cill off an MG Midget. When I cut the oval hole in the cowling, I folded the edge over to make a thickened safe edge, which then filled out the groove in the grommet perfectly. :!:
Fast n Furious

Postby sunrisemac » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:56 pm

I've just finished cutting a rectangular hole on an old cowling and making up a bolt on cover which fits using a cork gasket and a couple of riveted captive nuts.

With the old snap-on light I can get a good look at what's happening so just need to have a good play and compare with the chiselspeed graphs.
sunrisemac

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3