LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Seen this

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Seen this

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Norrie Bodge

Re: Seen this

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:33 pm

I recall this being found about 3 or 4 years ago. It looked in decent condition, from pictures on the Internet, before it was restored.

Edit: just read the story. The loop rotting out would be a good indication that it did need restoring :D
Storkfoot

Postby hullygully » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:55 am

:o 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) love it
hullygully

Postby bookertmgs1 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:23 am

It was so nippy it blew its tyres ? Who writes this stuff - whats its run on ? Liquid Hydrogen ?
bookertmgs1

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:30 am

bookertmgs1 wrote:It was so nippy it blew its tyres ? Who writes this stuff - whats its run on ? Liquid Hydrogen ?

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. It’s our government’s policy on almost everything remember.
Last edited by Storkfoot on Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:07 pm

Mind you, news to me that there was a 'London to Milan record attempt on their famous 250cc Bultaco Barreled “Super S Type” SX200'

By the admission of the very humble creators of that engine, it would be doubtful if such an attempt made it as far as the outskirts of Watford :D

I noticed the nyloc nut LH side of the engine mount bar & the 'Krober' (Motoplat) tachometer* (which presumably functions with the electronic) but I am surprised about the front brake. When that machine was first built, OEM disc brakes & TV175 I/II drums would have been plentiful, or even a complete 175/200 fork set.....

* Quite a rev range there! An ex-race item, no doubt. The Krober was available back then & many were fitted to sporting Lambrettas. The Motoplat uses the same components. For the sake of less than 20 quid, the dial face could have been changed to the more contemporary (@ the time) Krober silver face. I bought one for my Krober & IMHO they look so much better
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:42 pm

I have one of those Motoplat Krobers, the same model number, and I have been told by two separate knowledgeable people over the years that it cannot be converted to work with a two stroke Lambretta.
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Storkfoot wrote:I have one of those Motoplat Krobers, the same model number, and I have been told by two separate knowledgeable people over the years that it cannot be converted to work with a two stroke Lambretta.

I cannot claim to be 'knowledgeable' but I do strive to gain accurate knowledge. Krober had specific tachometers to suit requirements due to engine type, configuration, ignition system & even the almost 'universal' type the LZ13. I cannot ever recall seeing any designation on a Motoplat tacho, but I have an old one knocking about. Until recently, I think there was a clear distinction between the two products, but nowadays they appear to have morphed into one:

https://www.hpi.be/pitsch.php

The old Motoplat tachometer that, until today, I believed would only work with the signal from the dedicated small connection from a Motoplat CDI will now be subject to a little more research I wonder who not to ask? :lol:

It works fine on any machine that a Motoplat stator, rotor & CDI will fit, regardless of two stroke or four. It has been proved to function with a Serveta Motoplat electronic with the CDI first mentioned. What's more, despite all indications to the contrary, the rotors will work CW as well as ACW. Probably the stators would too. It all seems logical to me because how would the stator or rotor 'know' their direction of rotation? I realise there may be more to it if the internal build has any form of electronic/magnetic bias, but Motoplats were conceived long ago.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:41 pm

The Pitsch Krober tachometers that I have seen working on Lambrettas, including my own, have been the C31 variety.

Not having a fully operational Pitsch Krober is a deal breaker for me and, if that is the case, count me out of the auction :P
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:45 pm

Storkfoot wrote:The Pitsch Krober tachometers that I have seen working on Lambrettas, including my own, have been the C31 variety.

Not having a fully operational Pitsch Krober is a deal breaker for me and, if that is the case, count me out of the auction :P

The C31 has only appeared relatively recently. although it appears to me Lambretta specific, that doesn't make sense, as the latter day ignition systems many use was cribbed from Piaggio, but without the reliability..... :P

http://www.motocicliveloci.it/inglese/c ... nti_uk.htm

More than the C31 will fit.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:03 am

Someone needs to have a word with Anthony Tambs ;)
coaster

Postby hullygully » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:24 am

didnt AF's sell them, I'm sure thats the one on my TS1? :?
hullygully

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 pm

hullygully wrote:didnt AF's sell them, I'm sure thats the one on my TS1? :?

Possibly. I recall that SCK sold them but that was over ten years ago. The one remaining partner in the business, Mr Pitsch, died a number of years ago. The business, Pitsch Krober, no longer exists.

Since then, sadly, the lad who built my C31, Pete Champness down in Essex, has also passed away so there is, as far as I can find out, little knowledge out there in the UK. Pete had a lot of spare parts but what happened to them after his death, I don’t know.
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:42 pm

coaster wrote:Someone needs to have a word with Anthony Tambs ;)

I sent my Motoplat one to him. He couldn’t help.
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:58 pm

The link I posted has details of current availability of tachometers of that type:

https://www.hpi.be/pitsch.php

They were very helpful when I asked about the replacement dial faces & if you look @ their product base, it is extensive, including a race ignition for Lambrettas that is programmable & capable of controlling power jets etc. Who knew about that? Not me :o

They appear to have the knowledge base, but finding the correct 'knowledgeable' person ( :lol: ) might be a different matter. However, if you think about it, the fact that they are Lambretta specific does make me think that they may try to help' rather than "offer a hairbrush to go with the hairdryer"

When I made enquires about the dial face, it was via email. They answered in English (putting us lot to shame :oops: ) & the deal was done.

An electronic tachometer requires a signal & power to function, not necessarily combined, though the Motoplats did work on that premise, in the same manner as Krobers. 'Our' quandary is whereabouts in the electrical system do we tap into & my guess will be in the ignition cable prior to the CDI high tension side.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby hullygully » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:23 pm

I'm sure that mine's into the lighting circuit :o
hullygully

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:47 pm

My C31 has an earth and connects to the ignition circuit in the headset.

I’ll send them an email, WT. I was on the verge of putting the Motoplat on eBay but it’s worth a last crack.
Storkfoot

Postby Toddy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:47 pm

Storkfoot wrote:
Possibly. I recall that SCK sold them but that was over ten years ago. The one remaining partner in the business, Mr Pitsch, died a number of years ago. The business, Pitsch Krober, no longer exists.

Since then, sadly, the lad who built my C31, Pete Champness down in Essex, has also passed away so there is, as far as I can find out, little knowledge out there in the UK. Pete had a lot of spare parts but what happened to them after his death, I don’t know.

Didn’t know about Pete passing away he was a lovely bloke spoke to him a few times when he was sorting one for me :(
Toddy

Postby Andyf » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:32 pm

As fascinating and intriguing as ever - you guys certainly know your stuff. I had to satisfy myself ( :shock: ) by browsing the other Lambrettas on there and seeing a "Genuine Clone".
Andyf

Postby duncan1958 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:57 am

Looking through the photos of the advert I noticed what looks like a standard h/t coil and the lack of spark plug cap.
Don't modern electronic ignition systems require a CDI unit and a spark plug cap?
duncan1958

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3