LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

How do you setup an R1 shock for Lambretta?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

How do you setup an R1 shock for Lambretta?

Postby Knowledge » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:33 pm

I have an R1 shock with a 180lbs spring. I am about 11 stone.

There used to a webpage from the USA about setting up these suspension units for Lambrettas, but I can’t find it any more.

Is anyone familiar with the process of tuning these units?
Knowledge

Re: How do you setup an R1 shock for Lambretta?

Postby hullygully » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:44 am

Chiggy bud
hullygully

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:11 am

hullygully wrote:Chiggy bud

+1
ULC Soulagent

Postby nickw » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:14 pm

Hiya Martin, found this from a few years ago. I don't use imaging sites anymore so hope the quality on here is ok
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickw

Postby nickw » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:15 pm

Here's the first or second part?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickw

Postby martyn dwane » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Im sure SLUK did a comprehensive guide to setting up suspension a while back.
martyn dwane

Postby Knowledge » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Thanks Martyn.

I didn’t look at SLUK, mainly because I know that Sticky has no experience of the R1 shock. However, it is perhaps worth searching SLUK for such an article in order to answer my other question on this forum about the principles of Lambretta suspension set-up.

Thanks for the pointer.
Knowledge

Postby vegansydney » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:52 am

The R1 conversion info was on the old LCUSA site which is long gone. You maybe able to find it on the wayback machine if you do some digging, but from memory it was little more than instructions on how to compress the spring in order to remove it.

Honest question: what about lateral movement and flex from engine mounts? All OEM Lambretta shocks have rubber buffers in both eyelets--as does every Lambretta-specific aftermarket shock I've seen. The R1 shock doesn't. Interesting that BGM quickly changed their shock design to incorporate buffers (V2) soon after releasing their shock. I know absolutely nothing about suspension, but I assume these buffers work in conjunction with the engine mounts to allow for flex and movement.
vegansydney

Postby Leotech » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 am

vegansydney wrote:The R1 conversion info was on the old LCUSA site which is long gone. You maybe able to find it on the wayback machine if you do some digging, but from memory it was little more than instructions on how to compress the spring in order to remove it.

Honest question: what about lateral movement and flex from engine mounts? All OEM Lambretta shocks have rubber buffers in both eyelets--as does every Lambretta-specific aftermarket shock I've seen. The R1 shock doesn't. Interesting that BGM quickly changed their shock design to incorporate buffers (V2) soon after releasing their shock. I know absolutely nothing about suspension, but I assume these buffers work in conjunction with the engine mounts to allow for flex and movement.

Ref the lateral movement, thats why R1 shocks got a rep for breaking shafts, combination of no lateral movement due to not being rubber mounted and worn engine mounts. When the engine starts to fish tail the shock shaft if taking all the lateral loads.

I made some convex bushes for my R1 shocks so they will "wobble" when mounted. It's just a bush and rather than being parallel where it locates into the shock it has a radiused profile, it lets the shock rotate through about 10º on the mounts and lessens the lateral stresses on the shock shaft.
Leotech

Postby coaster » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:18 am

Leotech wrote:...Ref the lateral movement, thats why R1 shocks got a rep for breaking shafts, combination of no lateral movement due to not being rubber mounted and worn engine mounts. When the engine starts to fish tail the shock shaft if taking all the lateral loads.

I made some convex bushes for my R1 shocks so they will "wobble" when mounted. It's just a bush and rather than being parallel where it locates into the shock it has a radiused profile, it lets the shock rotate through about 10º on the mounts and lessens the lateral stresses on the shock shaft.

I heard that the breakages occured due to the use of solid brass bushes that allowed for no lateral movement as you say. I used a set of nylon bushes and half nuts from Chiggy which I only tighten until hand tight and then back off 1/4 turn ( thread lock applied). That shock has done 3 euros, C2C's and all over and given me no trouble other than adjusting the spring load as high as would go
coaster

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3