LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Engine case coating question

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Engine case coating question

Postby TVSi » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi all

i have just had a case aqua blasted and its come up a treat and I would like to keep it looking good. is it possible to use something like a clear engine lacquer or maybe a wax of some sort. What have you used successfully?
TVSi

Re: Engine case coating question

Postby Cgt75b » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:52 pm

A regular clean with autosol and it should be reet.
Cgt75b

Postby TVSi » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:13 pm

I was thinking of something to coat the case so that it is easy wash the dirt off with a bit of Muck off or similar?
TVSi

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:43 pm

You could make some enquiries with a reputable powder coating firm regarding a high temp clear gloss powder coating.
For a more budget job, then a rattle can coating of VHT engine laquer might do, albeit with a lower lifespan than the powder coated option. Just make sure to choose a brand that is petrol resistant.

Alternatively, you could invest in some polishing kit that will fit your electric drill and apply elbow grease to restore the natural lustre.
Fast n Furious

Postby TVSi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:40 am

I was trying to avoid the powder coaters if possible.

looking on the web I see that Halfords do a bare metal clear engine lacquer suitable for temps of 100 degC , has anyone tried this or something similar before? did it do the job?
TVSi

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:41 am

TVSi wrote:I was trying to avoid the powder coaters if possible.

looking on the web I see that Halfords do a bare metal clear engine lacquer suitable for temps of 100 degC , has anyone tried this or something similar before? did it do the job?

Don’t forget that the engine acts as a heatsink so temps will be above the 100* margin I’d imagine
Me personally would use the vht exhaust clear coat paint( as stated by FnF) as a decent alternative
ULC Soulagent

Postby missing lynx » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:33 pm

I just use a silicone based household polish which repels water and makes the muck easier to wash off
missing lynx

Postby TVSi » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:50 am

Thanks for all your comments, it has given me food for thought.

Happy New year one and all
TVSi

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3