LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

New SIL engine casings -what’s wrong with them?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

New SIL engine casings -what’s wrong with them?

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:58 am

There are lots of engine casings available for Lambrettas, including the original SIL castings.

I know the mould is rather tired and there is a problem with the position of one of the brake shoe pivots, but what else needs fettling before is is usable?
Knowledge

Re: New SIL engine casings -what’s wrong with them?

Postby dickie » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:43 am

I built a motor with one recently and it wasn't too bad if you're prepared to do a little work.

The worst issue was that the end plate was too tight on the screws and they were fighting the dowels. AF have a video somewhere on YouTube that I followed and sorted it out.

Generally, the casting was just very rough. One hour with a dremel and it was cleaned up nicely.

Also on the brake 'backplate' part of the case, there was a chunk approximately the size of a fingernail missing from the outer spigot; I've seen lots for sale with similar damage. It just looks like it was caused by impact damage but it's hard to imagine how that would be caused by a systematic problem in production.

My brake pivots seem to be in the correct position, so I'm guessing they have more than one jig and mine was drilled using one that is less worn?

Overall, for the saving, I'd use one again.
dickie

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:41 pm

Storkfoot

Postby MickYork » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:58 pm

My only issues were not enough meat in some areas. I developed a crack down one of the cylinder stud holes that led to a holed piston and the rear bearing plate holes also developed a crack. Still decent value for money but they do need a little fettling.
MickYork

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:33 pm

Hi Paul. Thanks for the link. I was not thinking of that supplier specifically, but that is the sort of engine casing.

It seems there are genuine SIL casings and some knock-off SIL-copy casings. This is some feedback I have received from other on-line discussion groups.

Is this correct?
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:12 am

Knowledge wrote:Hi Paul. Thanks for the link. I was not thinking of that supplier specifically, but that is the sort of engine casing.

It seems there are genuine SIL casings and some knock-off SIL-copy casings. This is some feedback I have received from other on-line discussion groups.

Is this correct?

I am unsure how you can tell whether they are SIL. Just having the painted yellow number ( they did come with those when I last bought one about 12 years ago) doesn’t prove that they are SIL. Willenhall, who are selling the one I posted, seem to sell exclusively Indian stuff but not SIL.

I know that there is the issue with the Uni endplate dowel holes but, if it was me buying one now, I’d be more tempted to buy one of them. I have bought Uni sidecasings which are fine and Mag housings which, again, are well made except one of the cowling holes is drilled several millimetres out (I have bought two and the same issue both times).

Then, there is the Granturismo one which I saw at a show a couple of years ago and is a work of art but more expensive again.
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3