LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

CamLam fuel light

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

CamLam fuel light

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:14 pm

Storkfoot

Re: CamLam fuel light

Postby coaster » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:21 pm

Should wpork fine Paul, it uses the same tap and float as the SIP speedo fuel warning which works well for me except for not being able to read the LED display, the red LED should be easier to spot 8-)
coaster

Postby dickie » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:57 pm

I've got a load of 12v LEDs which fit in a speedo nicely if you're happy drilling your speedo face. Pretty subtle. You can have one for nowt.
dickie

Postby dickie » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:00 pm

Looks like this

dickie

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:15 am

Thanks for the replies.

If I buy one, I doubt I’ll start drilling an original GP Speedo, especially as it works okay still :) but thanks for the offer, Dickie.

I am only interested as I have just downsized to an original tank. The day I fitted it, whilst trying to Jet the carb in, I ran out of petrol. Luckily, 100 yards from a petrol station and with £4.50 in my jacket :roll:
Storkfoot

Postby dickie » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 am

No, I wouldn't drill an original speedo. Both my s2 and s3 have original speedos, so as much as I'd like to, I can't bring myself to do it.
dickie

Postby Toddy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:08 pm

I’ve used them Paul all I can say is the float mechanism seemed to start sticking in the tank on a couple on mine making the light stay on maybe ethanol?
I just put the light in my inside legshield toolbox rather than drill a speedo
Toddy

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:04 pm

Toddy wrote:I’ve used them Paul all I can say is the float mechanism seemed to start sticking in the tank on a couple on mine making the light stay on maybe ethanol? ….

Thanks, Paul. That’s what I feared. It’s a lot of effort to find it doesn’t work :?
Storkfoot

Postby Toddy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:05 pm

Storkfoot wrote:
Toddy wrote:I’ve used them Paul all I can say is the float mechanism seemed to start sticking in the tank on a couple on mine making the light stay on maybe ethanol? ….

Thanks, Paul. That’s what I feared. It’s a lot of effort to find it doesn’t work :?

I know I binned mine and went with a normal fast flow rear exit with reserve
Toddy

Postby ROClarke » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:19 pm

Never had a problem with them.
Maybe you bent the shaft fitting it,easy to do if you don’t take the tank fully out and run a 10mm drill up inside the tank to check the clearance.
ROClarke

Postby Toddy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:21 pm

ROClarke wrote:Never had a problem with them.
Maybe you bent the shaft fitting it,easy to do if you don’t take the tank fully out and run a 10mm drill up inside the tank to check the clearance.

No never bent it cam lamb mentioned that issue as well
Toddy

Postby trotsky » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:51 am

Toddy wrote:I’ve used them Paul all I can say is the float mechanism seemed to start sticking in the tank on a couple on mine making the light stay on maybe ethanol?

Hi Paul, hope yer well mate.

Mine has done the same as Toddy's. The float plastic has gone hard & brittle. The warning light now just stays on. Hopefully it's something that will get addressed cos it's actually something that's useful for once :o :D .

Steve.
Last edited by trotsky on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trotsky

Postby MickYork » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:56 am

I had issues getting the float through the the threaded tank hole, very tight fit. Consequently it broke when i tried removing it. Didn't bother after that.

Fitted a "normal" 52mm gauge with various level indicators and works fine,
MickYork

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:52 pm

trotsky wrote:
Toddy wrote:I’ve used them Paul all I can say is the float mechanism seemed to start sticking in the tank on a couple on mine making the light stay on maybe ethanol?

Hi Paul, hope yer well mate.

Mine has done the same as Toddy's. The float plastic has gone hard & brittle. The warning light now just stays on. Hopefully it's something that will get addressed cos it's actually something that's useful for once :o :D .

Steve.

Thanks, Steve. Yes, all good now. Hope you two are well too. You have convinced me not to bother. Perhaps, I should just go back to just using Reserve. I haven’t done that in years :?
Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:10 pm

Has anyone attempted the enlarge the hole in the float or relieve the spindle to address the stickage problem?
coaster

Postby Delboyli150 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:21 pm

''Has anyone attempted the enlarge the hole in the float or relieve the spindle to address the stickage problem?''

Yes de-soldered the solder on the top, enlarged hole on the float put back on, re- solder, test with a multimeter before fitting, put back in......I did not enlarged enough!! Still having same problem, fuel light sticking on, cannot be bothered to do it all again at the moment! Morale of the story.. make sure you go big!

On a Separate note has anyone fitted both the bolt light LED and a sip sensor?
Delboyli150

Postby Leotech » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:01 am

I had to remove one from a friend's Lamby recently, same thing got all sticky and light stayed on all time, he was new to Lambretta ownership, I said to him it's not exactly rocket science to remember how many miles you done and fill the tank when it gets low, you've even got reserve so you get a 15-20 mile grace period.
Leotech

Postby coaster » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:39 am

Leotech wrote:I had to remove one from a friend's Lamby recently, same thing got all sticky and light stayed on all time, he was new to Lambretta ownership, I said to him it's not exactly rocket science to remember how many miles you done and fill the tank when it gets low, you've even got reserve so you get a 15-20 mile grace period.

It can be if you have more than one scooter on the go and you 'thik' you have a full tank but then run out of petrol in the middle of nowhere and then remember that it was the other one you filled up :oops:
:shock: :roll:
coaster

Postby Leotech » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:48 pm

coaster wrote:
Leotech wrote:I had to remove one from a friend's Lamby recently, same thing got all sticky and light stayed on all time, he was new to Lambretta ownership, I said to him it's not exactly rocket science to remember how many miles you done and fill the tank when it gets low, you've even got reserve so you get a 15-20 mile grace period.

It can be if you have more than one scooter on the go and you 'thik' you have a full tank but then run out of petrol in the middle of nowhere and then remember that it was the other one you filled up :oops:
:shock: :roll:

It's not easy being a mod........ ha ha
Leotech

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3