LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

VAPE, or something else perhaps

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

VAPE, or something else perhaps

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:15 pm

I have a full DC system using a tradional six pole stator. Having tried variable ignition, I found little difference and reverted to fixed timing (though it might have been an issue with the variable timing box I was using)

I fitted VAPE (AC static timing) for a guy last year. It is a lovely bit of kit and I am thinking that it is time to look at alternatives my current set-up. It is a reasonable price too.

So has anyone got any thoughts on the choice of road (fix timing) and sport (variable timing). Does anyone know if the Sport version can be used a static set-up? Perhaps it is just a matter of changing the CDI box?

Is there an alternatives to the VAPE? I have not been a fan of the varitronic systems as the power output is not as good as the VAPE (110w, apparently).
Knowledge

Re: VAPE, or something else perhaps

Postby coaster » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:04 pm

I have a Vape with variable ignition waiting to fit sometime but if I'm honest, I'm not that impressed with the coil windings as they look a bit untidy compared to motorcycle stators. Richard Taylors Aprilla derived system works out about the same price I think and puts out more watts
coaster

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 am

That all depends on what engine ur using Martin, if it’s making peak power at 7000 rpm onwards then variable would be the choice anything below that then static. I’ve have several latest systems too fit and try, Vape,LTH Overrev and Casatronic Ducati all on variable but I’ve also purchased the Static Cdi’s of each system just incase ;) The Kepher system is highly recommended also with infinite mapping solutions :D
ULC Soulagent

Postby Martin s » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:27 pm

I've got a Casatronic Ducati which was easy to fit as no timing marks. It was a sport variable but now expansion has snapped, I've bought the standard CDI for a clubman till I get the expansion welded. Not cheap but it was fit and forget.
Done about 1500 miles.
Martin s

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:54 pm

Thanks Martin S.

I was checking on the Casatronic Ducati our last night. You are right, it is a bit expensive but still attractive.

It is a pity there are no long-fin options on any of these kits.
Knowledge

Postby coaster » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:37 am

Knowledge wrote:Thanks Martin S.

I was checking on the Casatronic Ducati our last night. You are right, it is a bit expensive but still attractive.

Its more of a shame that they dont come with a conical deflector cap for the center as seen in the Steel Weasles' video ;)
coaster

Postby vegansydney » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:18 am

There are plenty of honest reviews, both positive and negative, of the VAPE over on the GSF.

Knowledge wrote:It is a pity there are no long-fin options on any of these kits.

The MMW long-finned fan for the VAPE has been out for 2 years (possibly longer). It was specifically designed for the SIL deep cowlings. According to MMW:
(it) increases the flow speed of the air from 75 to 140km at 7500rpm with 35% more flow with a good flow resistance coefficient...

vegansydney

Postby hullygully » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:47 am

the Khepher's a good cheap option, if you're willing to sit @ a computer for a while mapping your curves 8-)
hullygully

Postby Knowledge » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:23 pm

HG, isn’t the Kepler just an add-on box to advance and retard an existing ignition system? I am rather more in the market for a whole ignition system/generator, perhaps with advance/retard as part of the package.

The Casatronic has the advantage of several different weights of flywheel, which is good because I know which weight works with my engine.

The long-fin option on the VAPE is really interesting. Thanks for bring it to the table Sydney. Very helpful.
Knowledge

Postby lozmondo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:22 pm

coaster wrote:
Knowledge wrote:Thanks Martin S.

Its more of a shame that they dont come with a conical deflector cap for the center as seen in the Steel Weasles' video ;)

Message K2 customs they make the cones for the vape system
lozmondo

Postby Knowledge » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:25 am

Thanks Loz.

Yes, I was aware that someone made them and Keith is a good friend. I could make my own, but sometimes it is not worth reinventing the wheel.
Knowledge

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:10 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:That all depends on what engine ur using Martin, if it’s making peak power at 7000 rpm onwards then variable would be the choice anything below that then static. I’ve have several latest systems too fit and try, Vape,LTH Overrev and Casatronic Ducati all on variable but I’ve also purchased the Static Cdi’s of each system just incase ;) The Kepher system is highly recommended also with infinite mapping solutions :D

... same way that I approach these kits too, where a range of profiles (including static) make them much more versatile.
Adam_Winstone

Postby coaster » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:45 pm

Knowledge wrote:Thanks Loz.

Yes, I was aware that someone made them and Keith is a good friend. I could make my own, but sometimes it is not worth reinventing the wheel.

He has them back in stock atm, ordered one yesterday 8-)
coaster

Postby lozmondo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:24 pm

coaster wrote:
Knowledge wrote:Thanks Loz.

He has them back in stock atm, ordered one yesterday 8-)

So did I :D
lozmondo

Postby pharrisRB225 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 pm

I've just fitted casatronic sport ignition Well pleased with it
pharrisRB225

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3