LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Insurance

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Insurance

Postby Keith64 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:52 pm

If my memory serves me well, I seem to remember in the 80s, you could get insurance for blocks of cc's. Eg 100cc to 200cc. For a serial engine changer like myself, this would make sense. Talking to Allstyles this evening it seems this isn't an option. Am I imagining it or does anyone now if this is still possible or is it the old Rose tinted specs of the 80s kicking in again :D
Keith64

Re: Insurance

Postby missing lynx » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:42 pm

You use to be able to get a rider policy that would insure you 3rd party to ride anything up to 250cc but I think that's long gone
missing lynx

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:38 pm

Norwich Union decided a long time ago to make Rider policies unavailable to new customers.
I do know someone that still has one but only because he has had continuous insurance with them for the last 50 years.
Fast n Furious

Postby bookertmgs1 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:05 am

missing lynx wrote:You use to be able to get a rider policy that would insure you 3rd party to ride anything up to 250cc but I think that's long gone

Probably not the same thing - but my Carole Nash policy lets me ride a friends scooter on a 3rd party basis. This could be fairly useful if someone was ill or incapacitated in any way and you need to jump on their scooter.

Something rings a bell that there were caveats which someone raised on-line as a concern - but cant remember what they were now...
bookertmgs1

Postby Ranburetta » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:50 pm

bookertmgs1 wrote:
missing lynx wrote:You use to be able to get a rider policy that would insure you 3rd party to ride anything up to 250cc but I think that's long gone

Probably not the same thing - but my Carole Nash policy lets me ride a friends scooter on a 3rd party basis. This could be fairly useful if someone was ill or incapacitated in any way and you need to jump on their scooter.

Something rings a bell that there were caveats which someone raised on-line as a concern - but cant remember what they were now...

Apart from the obvious risk of third pary only cover, there are two that I can think of. Firstly, the friend's bike must be insured to be on the road and secondly the 3rd party cover only extends to the territories scheduled in the policy which, if I remember correctly, were defined as the UK, IOM & Channel Islands and did not apply 'abroad' including mainland Europe (even pre- Brexit). This was identified as an issue when it was proposed to take a spare bike to a Euro in the back up van.

Check the wording.
Ranburetta

Postby burnside » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:17 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:Norwich Union decided a long time ago to make Rider policies unavailable to new customers.
I do know someone that still has one but only because he has had continuous insurance with them for the last 50 years.

Norwich Union (or Aviva now) no longer offer any motorcycle insurance to new customers, but will renew existing policies
burnside

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3