LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Choke Lever

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Choke Lever

Postby srx600 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:57 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum and Lambretta ownership so if this is a dull question then I apologise.
I am confused by the choke lever on my series II. The lever rotates correctly and operates the choke plunger correctly, the issue is that it will not stay on, the only way to start the bike is to put a clothes peg on the lever to keep it open.
I have the lever in parts and the pins etc seem to all be on place, but I cannot see how its supposed to stay on the on position. The only think I can think of is that spring pressure is supposed to generate enough friction on the body to stop it rotating back to the closed position.
Any help is appreciated

Steve
srx600

Re: Choke Lever

Postby Toddy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:57 pm

Hi Steve and welcome to the forums it’s not catching on the bridge piece is it ?
Toddy

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:05 pm

It’s quite a while since I had this but I seem to remember that it was because the internal track that the pin moves up and down does wear down over the years, as does the pin itself. The fix was to push the pin out a bit further.
Storkfoot

Postby srx600 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:13 pm

Storkfoot wrote:It’s quite a while since I had this but I seem to remember that it was because the internal track that the pin moves up and down does wear down over the years, as does the pin itself. The fix was to push the pin out a bit further.

Stickys book mentions this, but I go the impression that was if it wasnt following the internal ramp. The pin seems to be ok, it looks like its been replaced at some point, its just that there nothing to stop it running back down the ramp and closing the choke. Currently the spring is in contact with the body of the choke mechanism, I might try a washer under the spring to see if that makes any difference.
srx600

Postby srx600 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:14 pm

Toddy wrote:Hi Steve and welcome to the forums it’s not catching on the bridge piece is it ?

It clears the bridge piece ok, just doesnt stay open.
srx600

Postby Knowledge » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:48 pm

Old scooters are full of old, worn out parts.

Buy a new lever. They are not expensive or difficult to fit.

But buy a decent quality one, as there are lots of dodgy ones out there there.
Knowledge

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:40 pm

This can happen if the inner cable is in effect, too short. So the plunger bottoms out under the spring before the lever actuator has found the latch point.
Fast n Furious

Postby srx600 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:32 am

Fast n Furious wrote:This can happen if the inner cable is in effect, too short. So the plunger bottoms out under the spring before the lever actuator has found the latch point.

The behaviour is the same without the cable fitted. You mention a latch point, mine just rotates anticlockwise and runs up the internal ram, there doesn't seem to be a latch point at the end. It looks like someone has replaced the pin so could it be that it is slightly too big for it to drop into a latch point at the top of the ramp ?
srx600

Postby lofty » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:49 am

i had a clothes peg handy for years :D

in the end i dismantled the choke lever (series 2), not easy as it was obviously designed not to be maintained, there is a plastic collar that had to be prised out and was destroyed in the process..
I re-shaped the internal ramp (dremel) so it once again would catch the lever in the on position rather than ping back, and replaced the damaged plastic collar with some nylon washers off ebay and a bit of fettling.

a bit of a faff, but i kept my original lever.. depending on your scooter/opinion/mindset you may opt to just get a replacement as suggested above..
lofty

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:02 pm

Replacement collars are available, if needed:

https://www.discodezscooters.co.uk/p/la ... ss_collar_
Storkfoot

Postby srx600 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:58 am

Thanks for the help, I suspect I will end up buying a new one, but I like the idea of using the original if I can.
srx600

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3