LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Campagnolo disc brake

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Campagnolo disc brake

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:17 pm

Amongst my collection, I have a hub that has been fitted with extended pins to the outside of the hub using the original pin centres. Presumably, a previous owner intended to fit an external disc, though the original internal pins still appear to be in place.

Whether the intention was to have the OEM internal disc operating in conjunction with an additional external disc, I have no idea.

My question is whether anybody knows, or has for whatever reason, removed the OEM pins. I've never had to think about how the pins were originally fitted, but I wonder if they were pressed into place (hopefully!) rather than cast in.

Does anybody know for certain?

Obviously, I'd sooner press out the specially extended pins completely, if that is what they are, rather than attempt to extract the oversize portions by any other means.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Re: Campagnolo disc brake

Postby Dazts1 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:39 pm

I’ve removed a couple of sets. Punching them in over to the backplate. For the same reason to make an outboard disc the pin is larger than the hole on the outer window side. I can take some pics tonight. I’ve removed 2 sets. The 1st set flew out. The 2nd set not so easy. But came out in the end.
Dazts1

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:38 pm

Thank you for your response.

I'd appreciate some photos before I have a go, but by what you say, the oversize pins will have been fitted from the outside with the OEM pins left in place. If I knew how the oversize pins had been fitted it would help :roll: because they may have been pressed or screwed in. There's no telling.

Whoever did the conversion also created a two pot hydraulic backplate by cutting & welding up two backplates. It looks a really tidy job & should live again.....eventually :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Leotech » Sat May 14, 2022 8:16 am

That twin calliper backplate was made by Frank Sanderson, When he went to work for Scomadi he cleared boxes and boxes of his mad scientist crap from his unit. He sold it to a pal of mine who was new to Lambrettas who didn't really know what he was buying and over paid for what was mostly junk. Frank told me what the external pins were for but I cant remember now. probably like you say an external disc.

I ended up with it, decided it looked ok but couldn't be bothered to do anything with it and sold it at Kettering about 4 years ago?
Leotech

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat May 14, 2022 1:06 pm

Leotech wrote:That twin calliper backplate was made by Frank Sanderson, When he went to work for Scomadi he cleared boxes and boxes of his mad scientist crap from his unit. He sold it to a pal of mine who was new to Lambrettas who didn't really know what he was buying and over paid for what was mostly junk. Frank told me what the external pins were for but I cant remember now. probably like you say an external disc.

I ended up with it, decided it looked ok but couldn't be bothered to do anything with it and sold it at Kettering about 4 years ago?

Thankyou for that information.

As I recall, I'd been to a 'niter but wandered the 10 minute walk up to Wickies late in the afternoon with some spending loot, saw the 'set' (including an additional, unfinished WIP twin pot backplate) & it all looked well engineered. I reckon I just caught you ready to pack up & go home because I'd call it all a bargain. YOO WOZ ROBBED! Sorry :oops:

The twin pot backplate looks to me as if it could be passed off as an Innocenti 'special project' if you understand? The pistons are corroded, so I'll search out/turn up some replacements in stainless, though the whole assembly can be made more shallow IMO. The seals all look good & I have a Kelgate fully vented & drilled disc that I got a couple (one spare) of conversion hubs made for. They fit the Innocenti three pin arrangement & carry the Kelgate disc via a six dowel pin arrangement.

Each to their own, but I have a spare external disc set-up in the garage, but the look doesn't appeal to me. Lambretta went to a lot of trouble to hide away much of the mechanicals for the clean aesthetic. More 'car' than 'motorbike' I guess. In any case, a certain Mr Edmonds went well enough with his hydraulic OEM front brake.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Leotech » Sat May 14, 2022 5:38 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
Leotech wrote:That twin calliper backplate was made by Frank Sanderson, When he went to work for Scomadi he cleared boxes and boxes of his mad scientist crap from his unit. He sold it to a pal of mine who was new to Lambrettas who didn't really know what he was buying and over paid for what was mostly junk. Frank told me what the external pins were for but I cant remember now. probably like you say an external disc.

Thankyou for that information.

As I recall, I'd been to a 'niter but wandered the 10 minute walk up to Wickies late in the afternoon with some spending loot, saw the 'set' (including an additional, unfinished WIP twin pot backplate) & it all looked well engineered. I reckon I just caught you ready to pack up & go home because I'd call it all a bargain. YOO WOZ ROBBED! Sorry :oops:

The twin pot backplate looks to me as if it could be passed off as an Innocenti 'special project' if you understand? The pistons are corroded, so I'll search out/turn up some replacements in stainless, though the whole assembly can be made more shallow IMO. The seals all look good & I have a Kelgate fully vented & drilled disc that I got a couple (one spare) of conversion hubs made for. They fit the Innocenti three pin arrangement & carry the Kelgate disc via a six dowel pin arrangement.

Each to their own, but I have a spare external disc set-up in the garage, but the look doesn't appeal to me. Lambretta went to a lot of trouble to hide away much of the mechanicals for the clean aesthetic. More 'car' than 'motorbike' I guess. In any case, a certain Mr Edmonds went well enough with his hydraulic OEM front brake.....

Nah, My mate was robbed, He knew Frank was selling his stuff, he didn't ask me to go and see and value it it as he thought I'd try to outbid him, he was new to scooters and thought he'd make a killing on all Franks stuff. All the best bits had already gone and he paid over the odds for it all in my opinion.
Leotech

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3