LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electronic stator repair

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Electronic stator repair

Postby ladsdad » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:50 pm

Hi all,
Unfortunately on the way home from the Euro we suffered a stator plate failure (weàk/no spark). The stator is an old MK1 bgm that's been in for years, so my question is, is it better to repair it with bgm parts or will cheaper components off eBay do...
I guess I'm going to get a lot of "buy cheap buy twice" but I have a K2 cheapo stator in another engine that's been going strong for over a decade, after being rewired & joints properly soldered, so just after so opinions...
Cheers Mark
ladsdad

Re: Electronic stator repair

Postby coaster » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:55 pm

Have you checked the readings on the LT coil? you shouls see around 420 to 450 ohms, less would indicate that the insulation on coil wining is breakong down. Fauls with the pickup or CDI generally cause the ignitiuon to cut out entirely. Replacing the coil is straight forward but they cost a good part of a new one. Peronally, I'd invest in a new stator either BGM or Scootronics one. I have both and they have been faultless over many thousaands of miles. The Scootronics one is made in the uk so SHOULD be cheaper without the shipping costs from Germany, its also better made.
coaster

Postby coaster » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:57 pm

coaster wrote:Have you checked the readings on the LT coil? you shouls see around 420 to 450 ohms, less would indicate that the insulation on coil wining is breakong down. Fauls with the pickup or CDI generally cause the ignitiuon to cut out entirely. Replacing the coil is straight forward but they cost a good part of a new one. Peronally, I'd invest in a new stator either BGM or Scootronics one. I have both and they have been faultless over many thousaands of miles. The Scootronics one is made in the uk so SHOULD be cheaper without the shipping costs from Germany, its also better made.

Scootronics is Anthony Tambs and is on Face Book https://www.facebook.com/scootronics
coaster

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:57 pm

Figure out which component has failed. If it's the LT coil then I'd replace it with BGM (much better than other replacements, other than Ceab, which are IMO the best out there). If it's the pickup box, most available on ebay are equally good, with BGM being no better IMO... perhaps not as good as some other cheaper ones.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:19 am

Unfortunately the resistance measurement check on the LT coil usually proves inadequate.
The quality of replacement coils is not really an issue here. Although, I acknowledge that some are better than others.
The key is not to connect the coils ground wire directly to the stator laminate earth tag.
Instead, make another connection point on the coil's bobbin and terminate the ground tail there alongside the hot connection point.Then make a ground connection to the stator tag using a piece of fine multicore stranded wire which will handle vibration much better.
On a typical indian stator the LT coil protrudes out slighly more than the lighting coils. This can become a contact issue with the flywheel on engines that have slightly wider cranks with packed out magflanges.
Using the LT coil from an LML vespa overcomes this. These coils are physically slightly smaller which usually means you have to cut off 2 of the front laminates using a dremmel grinder to make them fit.
They also have the advantage of having 2 terminal points on the base of the bobbin.
These coils are really good quality and give out a good voltage level at cranking speed which aids good starting.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3