LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 clutch

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 3 clutch

Postby gazzar15 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:53 am

I have a series 3 with a 175 and electric start conversion…due to ankle surgery I am only getting around to running her in just now…the clutch is quite stiff..how can I alleviate this?
Thanks
gazzar15

Re: Series 3 clutch

Postby dickie » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:30 am

gazzar15 wrote:I have a series 3 with a 175 and electric start conversion…due to ankle surgery I am only getting around to running her in just now…the clutch is quite stiff..how can I alleviate this?
Thanks

If you want to keep.the same torque handling capability of your clutch you have these options:

Increase the number of plates
Make sure your cable is free and can find its own path when operated (No cable ties)
You can use a longer lever or one of those e-zee clutch thingies but they reduce plate separation

If you just want to make it lighter but don't care about being able to handle the torque, then you have these options:

Use thinner steels and /or corks; reduces pre-load
Use lighter springs; standard ones are the lightest I've found
dickie

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:30 am

as mentioned above , cable routing is most important and a nylon lined cable helps too.
my GP has been on the road since 98`, when i built it from scratch, the cables went in ''the way''' i thought best, changed all cable outers last year to nylon, routed as per sticky`s book, clutch is the lightest 5 plate ive ever had.
martyn dwane

Postby hullygully » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:01 am

my Reedspeed 'red' 5 x plate is light on touch, make sure as previously mentioned, plus all plates are free in the basket
hullygully

Postby dickie » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Sorry, I should have said. If you increase the number of plates by 25% (from 4 to 5), you can reduce the spring force by 20%.
dickie

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:11 pm

Poor clutch action is usually a combination of many things and really you have to fettle them all to get the best clutch.
In addition to the advice above:-
Check the clutch lever. If the pivot hole is oval, or if the pivot pin has worn eccentric, then this will contribute detrimentally to the feel of the clutch. Some after market levers or modified motorbike levers do offer increased leverage but only if eveything else in the clutch system is as good as can be!
Even nylon lined cables don't last forever. Eventually, the inner cable will wear through the Nylon sleeve where the cable bends and this chaffing action then makes for a poor clutch feel.

As advised above, fit a new nylon lined cable regardless (Those with a stainless inner cable do work very well) and grease the inner cable before feeding it through.
As advised in Sticky's manual, its a good idea to Dremmel relieve the headset casting to stop it wearing through the outer. Make sure that the routing down steering columb is correct with minimum bend radii to aid a good clutch feel.
Finally, check the splined push cam on the bottom of the clutch operating shaft. (The bit that actually pushes the clutch pressure plate thimble).The thimble does wear the face on these cams, which again makes for poor clutch action. All too often this get overlooked. Its a cheap part so just replace it if it shows signs of wear along with a new thimble.
Fast n Furious

Postby gazzar15 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Thanks gents think I will start with the nylon lined cable and routing thereof.What would be recommended replacement lever?
gazzar15

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:16 pm

Buzzsolomoto do some replacement adjustable levers for a good price but I've no idea how good they are.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3