LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 2 Front Sprocket Spring and Cap

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 2 Front Sprocket Spring and Cap

Postby srx600 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:55 am

I have managed to damage the Front Sprocket Spring Cap on my Series 2. It is currently fitted with the shorter spring and cap as detailed in Stickys manual. I cant find a replacement so was thinking it may be easier to go with the later spring and cap, bearing in mind this is taller are there any issues fitting this inside the Series 2 side case ?
srx600

Re: Series 2 Front Sprocket Spring and Cap

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:34 pm

SIII shock absorber will fit straight in, no issue. In fact, it is a sensible modification & should give the transmission an easier life.

BTW. If anybody is unaware, the easy way to align the splines is to nip up the bolt 'just' tight then hit the cap with a mallet. if the mallet bounces, then alignment has been achieved. Usually, if not aligned, keep tapping & it usually has the effect of making the splines align. Then the bolt can be fully tightened with just another check to see if the mallet still bounces, as it should. ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Re: Series 2 Front Sprocket Spring and Cap

Postby srx600 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:15 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:SIII shock absorber will fit straight in, no issue. In fact, it is a sensible modification & should give the transmission an easier life.

BTW. If anybody is unaware, the easy way to align the splines is to nip up the bolt 'just' tight then hit the cap with a mallet. if the mallet bounces, then alignment has been achieved. Usually, if not aligned, keep tapping & it usually has the effect of making the splines align. Then the bolt can be fully tightened with just another check to see if the mallet still bounces, as it should. ;)

Cheers, thank you
srx600

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3