LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Engine Mounts

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Engine Mounts

Postby gaz_powell » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:30 am

SIL/SR first choice followed by Uni for me

Theyve always given me the best overall mix of comfort and longevity
gaz_powell

Postby Tractorman » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:21 am

gaz_powell wrote:SIL/SR first choice followed by Uni for me

Fully agree, I used BGM ones until someone recommended SIL ones and I have found them better than BGM.
Tractorman

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:39 am

SIL or BGM, both ok.
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:00 pm

I have Scootopia ones in three Lambrettas. No vibrations over and above normal.
Storkfoot

Postby vegansydney » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:34 pm

Tutto Lambretta dl/GP mounts, with the stronger kickstart side. I've been running them for years without issue. Travel Lambretta sell them (as Stratos).

The problem I've found with most aftermarket mounts is they are not made to factory spec. Here's a photo (appropriated from the GSF several years ago) of the significant differences between some of the commonly available ones. Followed by the Innocenti blueprints.

vegansydney

Postby nsaints » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:53 pm

SIL mounts all the way
No experience of other recommendations (with the exception of BGM)

I removed BGM from a standard GP, and fitted SIL to instantly solve vibration issues at certain speeds
nsaints

Postby Toddy » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:27 pm

SIL and BGM For me no issues with either
Toddy

Postby vegansydney » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:47 pm

Do you think as the center tube protrusion of the SIL ones (2.5mm) are the closest ones to Innocenti specs (2.0mm) that makes them preferable? The BGM ones and Casa reinforced are double the length! :shock: —or is it combination of length and the durometer of the rubber?
vegansydney

Postby missing lynx » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 am

gaz_powell wrote:SIL/SR first choice followed by Uni for me

Totally agree
missing lynx

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:12 pm

vegansydney wrote:Do you think as the center tube protrusion of the SIL ones (2.5mm) are the closest ones to Innocenti specs (2.0mm) that makes them preferable? The BGM ones and Casa reinforced are double the length! :shock: —or is it combination of length and the durometer of the rubber?

Axial stressing of the rubber will have some bearing, but I'm inclined to believe not of any great significance.

Precisely how the desired qualities of the rubber - to act as a shock absorber - are determined is that the 'as moulded' shore hardness of the rubber is just one part. Correctly manufactured bushings will have oversize outer tubes &/or undersize inner tubes that are then 'swaged' to final size. This swaging stresses the rubber even more than was achieved in the moulding process alone, but is part of achieving the desired qualities of the final sized component.

I have some OEM Innocenti three hole mounts that still work well for the road, but for better handling with marginally more vibration, the SIL two hole 'solid through' mounts are very good. The manufacturers must have tuned/selected the rubber well because they are prized by owners. Undoubtedly, the harshest vibrating mounts I've fitted to a big block engine are some non-voided copies of the SIL 'solid through' mounts & the OEM Innocenti non outboard mounts.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby GExS » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:40 pm

Over the years, I have found that the only one to normally fail is the kickstart side. One my original TV175, ‘63 I still have the original white mount on mag side, a lot of the paint has coming off but it still works.
GExS

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3