LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Chain case noise

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Chain case noise

Postby TODDY125 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:17 am

Before I take off the chain case cover again and have a look I'd be grateful for any suggestions of a possible cause of a noise when sat in neutral that goes away when the clutch is pulled in - video link below.

The noise doesn't go away when cold, only after the engine's been running for a couple of minutes. It's a new engine build and I'm running in at the moment, only 100 miles in and it seems to run ok, but assuming that the noise suggests a problem somewhere?

I've seen quite a few posts that talk about a noise stopping when the clutch is pulled in and a gear selected, but not the case with this, I only need to pull the clutch.

https://youtu.be/xOJgMMvcLO0
TODDY125

Re: Chain case noise

Postby hullygully » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:52 pm

doesn't sound like kickstart plunger on first gear....................
how close did you get? :?
hullygully

Postby TODDY125 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:58 pm

Hi,
I've had the case off once already because I thought that might be it, but no sign of the kickstart teeth or shaft rubbing.

Also, I would have thought the noise would stop from cold, not after a couple of minutes...
TODDY125

Postby Knowledge » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:08 pm

With the clutch out, everything under the chaincase is rotating. When you pull the clutch in, the gearbox stops going round and the noise stops. Therefore it is something related to the gearbox, surely.

My money is still on the kick start plunger being partially deployed. What sort of gearbox end plate do you have? The one with the ramp cast into it, or the smaller one as fitted to pre-DL models?
Knowledge

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3