LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SIL 200 casing brake shoe pivots

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

SIL 200 casing brake shoe pivots

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:13 pm

Hi,

Is it the top shoe pivot that is (often) in the wrong position?
Knowledge

Re: SIL 200 casing brake shoe pivots

Postby John Deeley » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:15 pm

On the two I've had rectified it was the bottom hole. Not out by a lot, less than 1mm
Last edited by John Deeley on Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Deeley

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:25 pm

Yes. As far as I am aware they are always consistently inboard of where they ought to be based upon the Indian cases I have & others that I have worked upon.

Besides the Jockeys Boxenstop rear brake set up, trimming the shoes or relocating the mispositioned hole there is a solution that I intend to prototype & would offer for sale if the test vindicates my firm belief in the idea. I am by trade a design engineer so believe the best process is to prove a product prior to release, but would sub £40 attract buyers of a non-bling product to extend the life of any OEM type brake shoes used with any case or front drum brake?

Any positive feedback could well accelerate the process, that is, kick my @rse into gear.... ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby gp200ts1 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:03 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Yes. As far as I am aware they are always consistently inboard of where they ought to be based upon the Indian cases I have & others that I have worked upon.

Besides the Jockeys Boxenstop rear brake set up, trimming the shoes or relocating the mispositioned hole there is a solution that I intend to prototype & would offer for sale if the test vindicates my firm belief in the idea. I am by trade a design engineer so believe the best process is to prove a product prior to release, but would sub £40 attract buyers of a non-bling product to extend the life of any OEM type brake shoes used with any case or front drum brake?

Any positive feedback could well accelerate the process, that is, kick my @rse into gear.... ;)

I would go for 1. I have 3 cases which are out. 1 uses a jockeys set up which is spot on. The 2nd one also has a jockeys set up but try as I might I can’t get it satisfactory. The 3rd one had me skimming the shoes to fit but will need it doing all over again when the shoes need replacing.
gp200ts1

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:25 pm

I’d have one too please although I’ve only got one sil case you never know when it’s needed in dealing with other clubmates engines ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Norrie Bodge » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:46 pm

Go on then count me in for one, I got 3 Indian casings
all with crap rear brakes !!
Norrie Bodge

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:53 pm

Looks like theres a few arse kickers.... Im in!
gaz_powell

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:13 pm

Gulp!

Thank you for the positive feedback, the result being that I've committed (or I should be... :lol: ) & ordered some material to get things underway.

I'm putting the 'cart before the horse' in some senses, as I really ought to model this stuff up on SolidWorks or a 3D CAD first, but fag-packet sketches must do for now.

Because I don't want to over-egg the amount that the pivot position holes need to be adjusted to come right on the SIL cases, I really would appreciate a little more help. The first two SIL cases I grabbed & measured from bore to hole position (pivots if in place would do just as well) showed a variation of about 1.0 mm with the upper hole being 'inboard' What would be great is if anybody would verify that.

The designed product should allow for a variation of greater than 1.0 mm but it would be ridiculous to allow for, say, 2.0 + mm if that has never been the case (excuse the pun :oops: ). It's a bit 'swings & roundabouts' if setting is crude rather than fine.

Thanks again & TYIA :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:51 pm

Sorry no blocks on the bench, my SIL casings are in bikes.
Gonna be a while til i have hubs off
gaz_powell

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:06 pm

WTNo1.... Is the prototype complete yet????

Was hoping for one to fit this week.... ;)
gaz_powell

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:20 pm

gaz_powell wrote:WTNo1.... Is the prototype complete yet????

Was hoping for one to fit this week.... ;)

:lol:

The material from which the key components will be manufactured, arrived on Friday afternoon. There are other proprietary items that need sourcing, but they should be relatively widely stocked & promptly available.

As soon as I have prototypes, there are considerations I hope to discuss with somebody I have in mind, concerning certain aspects relative to trading & the ownership of my design. Any discussion should be brief & not protract the release of the first small batch of kits. The fact that I intend to do things properly shows how serious I am, which, I hope you agree, would also be in the end users' best interest.

If this initial product works out as a sound engineering solution to a particular problem, there will be other products to follow with similar intentions.

Please bear with me & I will do my best to supply my design in an actual form rather than just the virtual, as it is now. It is also my intention to have any manufacturing of all of any future products carried out in the UK where possible. There are many good reasons for doing so, one of them being that we may all feel perhaps a tad more pride in our nation's manufacturing capabilities for once.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby gaz_powell » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:16 pm

Keep at it.... Is eagerly awaited!!
gaz_powell

Postby Norrie Bodge » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:54 pm

gaz_powell wrote:Keep at it.... Is eagerly awaited!!

You are a beaut :lol: :lol:
Norrie Bodge

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:19 pm

gaz_powell wrote:Keep at it.... Is eagerly awaited!!

It would be extremely useful if somebody would have confirmed the amount that the top pivot point was machined out to the norm. However, I have a fully built race engine under the bench that I will pull the hub off tomorrow to give myself another guesstimate. That SIL case will then become the mule for the test to get the prototype kit under way.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3