LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Legshield Spare Wheel Carriers

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Legshield Spare Wheel Carriers

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:57 am

Good morning all, what are your opinions/thoughts on the spare wheel carriers that pick-up on the horncasting fixings?

Personally I don't like the idea of all that weight of the carrier and wheel hanging off the threads in the horncasting - not to mention the vibration.

I have been fitting the carriers that hook over the top, but the jigging/manufacture of my last two is a bit hit and miss.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Cheers,
Jim
Cosmic Wizard

Re: Legshield Spare Wheel Carriers

Postby alex_hughes » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:12 am

I prefer the sort which hook over the top of the legshields and just use the lower fixings. better support in my view.

One think I do if bolting in to horncastings is to use 50mm grub screws with a dab of locktight on the end. Tend to use more of the thread in the horncasting than standard screws, and that extra bit of thread is normally in good condition. Obviously you have a locknut visible on the outside but I guess if you are adding a wheel carrier you are not going to be too anorakky ...
alex_hughes

Postby landybretta » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:32 am

I also prefer the type that hooks over the legshields. The bottom fixing utilises the top bolts for the mudguard not the horn casting. Much better in my opinion.
landybretta

Postby superhooper » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:45 pm

Never had a problem with them
superhooper

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks for your replies :)

@alex_hughes : That's a really good idea using studs. Thanks for that ;)
Cosmic Wizard

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3