LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

EXOL OIL

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

EXOL OIL

Postby HxPaul » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:10 pm

I've just been on the scooterotica forum.It seems like a couple of forum members have been having trouble with gummed rings and damaged gudgeon pins.Both were using Exol oil at the time.Has anyone on here had a similar problem.
HxPaul

Re: EXOL OIL

Postby Afandy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Is that the oil that a few Scooterist were bragging about ?..how cheap it is..?
Afandy

Postby HxPaul » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:41 pm

It's one of them,the other being Rock Oil Groundsman.
Last edited by HxPaul on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HxPaul

Postby mcbrid » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Nope - and anyway wasn't it a Vethpa that failed?
mcbrid

Postby HxPaul » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:15 pm

A Vespa and a Lambretta.
HxPaul

Postby MickYork » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:02 pm

I've been using the Exol oil for over a year, along with 2 mates and we haven't had a problem......i suspect the oil isn't the the problem.

I had "gummed" up rings :? when running in my Avanti and put it down to the 4% i was mixing (Putoline). I changed to 2% and haven't had a problem in 3 years (Exol for the last year).
MickYork

Postby Eden » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Ive never had gummed in rings using groundsman. But that's because its semi and I ride hard enough to burn the oil. People using fully synth and not ridding hard enough will suffer from gummed rings and coked up heads, exhaust ports and exhaust. especially so when using cheap fully synth.
Eden

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:26 pm

I`m one who posted in response to someone else and both were vespas - one using semi and one fully synthetic Exol

I`m putting mine down to excess bore clearance and running slightly rich for the gumming up and I believe the gudgeon pin issues is a poor pin - its possible both piston are the same manufacturer (meteor)

Everything was right with the piston - gudgeon pin pushed in by hand and I drilled lube holes in the tunnel inside the piston each side.

At this point I`m not blaming oil - I will be looking at all the aspects.

Ive got one of my ts1`s to strip after Bridlington - so we`ll see whats occurring in there - this will be a top end strip only and will be to replace the piston due to high mileage and reeds. will probably strip both for inspection.

I wont be for a couple of weeks after brid due to other things on

Gaz

Gaz
gaz_powell

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 pm

I'm just about to finish a 25l drum of the semi-synth. I decided a few months back to try some other oil after I finish it.

There's no scientific and engineering reason for why. The only reason is that it is very smokey, particularly when the engine is warming up although it is supposed to be "low ash." I know this as before I went to Davos I changed to a Valvoline synthetic, with no change to carburation and I haven't noticed a smokey exhaust since.

I also believe that it does coke up more than my previous oil [SIP Formula]. I haven't, however, had gummed rings and I've been running it at 3% on a GT186 and a TS1.
Storkfoot

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:03 pm

I have found it smokey at warm up and tick over but not in use - Especially on the TS1`s

3% on TS1`s and 2-3% on the vespa (will do 2% on vespa after my top end rebuild yesterday)

all bikes are a tad rich

never had a sniff of a seizure on normal unleaded

gaz
gaz_powell

Postby sunrisemac » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 pm

IMHO, it's worth remembering what issue premix ratio is addressing, it is to keep an oil presence inside the engine during use.

For an engine that is continually used at near peak revs it will need a higher ratio of oil than an engine that is running for the majority of the time at a more modest rev range.

With that in mind, as Eden has alluded, to if an engine is not being used hard enough to burn the oil then gummed rings will probably be a consequence.

The top end of a 2 stroke engine will wear better with a good soaking of lighter oil whereas the crank and bearings which will do better with less but heavier oil, the top end is where I reckon the priority lies in the choice and ratio of oil used.
sunrisemac

Postby mcbrid » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:37 am

Why are we talking about Vespas again?

:oops:
mcbrid

Postby sunrisemac » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:20 pm

mcbrid wrote:Why are we talking about Vespas again?

:oops:

What's a Vespa, isn't it a kind of match? :?
sunrisemac

Postby gaz_powell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:17 pm

"Why are we talking about Vespas again?"

the discussion is about the oil which been used in both lambretta and vespa

it also mentions a piston brand which serves both Lambretta and vespa

the discussion maybe or may not be of benefit to the riders of lambrettas but never the less a valid topic
gaz_powell

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:59 pm

gaz_powell wrote:I have found it smokey at warm up and tick over but not in use - Especially on the TS1`s

3% on TS1`s and 2-3% on the vespa (will do 2% on vespa after my top end rebuild yesterday)

all bikes are a tad rich

never had a sniff of a seizure on normal unleaded

gaz

Actually that's a point I hadn't thought of. I'd forgotten that I also use the Exol in my Rally 200 at 2% and that's not smokey at all. I'm taking the Rally engine out over the winter so I'll check the coking issue then.
Storkfoot

Postby gaz_powell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Paul

Don't mention the V word on here :roll:

Gaz ;)

Keep us updated on the V although you might have to use the other channel so not cause upset to some !
gaz_powell

Postby mcbrid » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Haha - now you've done it!

'never had a sniff of a seizure on normal unleaded '

:o
mcbrid

Postby gaz_powell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Yep ......probably the kiss of death !!!
gaz_powell

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 pm

Resurrected from history :P

Need to buy some oil. I have got used to buying 20 or 25l drums. Thinking of, amongst a couple of other options, Fully Synthetic (not the semi) Exol.

Any thoughts on whether this has a tendency to be overly smokey or, worse, gum up the rings?
Storkfoot

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:58 am

Why not the semi? I'm using Exol semi and it's a good oil. I did use the fully synth at one time, and yes I did get gummed rings. I don't have any desire to go back to it.
ToBoldlyGo

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3