LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

EXOL OIL

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: EXOL OIL

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:25 am

ToBoldlyGo wrote:Why not the semi? I'm using Exol semi and it's a good oil. I did use the fully synth at one time, and yes I did get gummed rings. I don't have any desire to go back to it.

Was this using the fully synthetic on a cast barrel or a Nicasil kit?
Norrie Bodge

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:09 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:Why not the semi? I'm using Exol semi and it's a good oil. I did use the fully synth at one time, and yes I did get gummed rings. I don't have any desire to go back to it.

Overly smokey IMO, especially when cold, doesn’t leave top end as “clean” as other oils I have used on the same engine and spec.
Storkfoot

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 pm

I used the fully synthetic for years and yes did eventually get gummed up rings with my high mileage scoot. Not as confident in it now as I was.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Solid Air » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:I used the fully synthetic for years and yes did eventually get gummed up rings with my high mileage scoot. Not as confident in it now as I was.

Rich'

Same here
Solid Air

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Norrie Bodge wrote:

It was a cast barrel Norrie. Others have commented that you need to ride them hard to burn off a fully synth oil, and this one spent as much time pottering around lanes as it did on a good run, so that's probably right. Having said that it was down to me in the end, and my lazy style of riding. But I did take two things from it. I ride differently, and I realise that I really don't need a fully synth oil.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:
Norrie Bodge wrote:

It was a cast barrel Norrie. Others have commented that you need to ride them hard to burn off a fully synth oil, and this one spent as much time pottering around lanes as it did on a good run, so that's probably right. Having said that it was down to me in the end, and my lazy style of riding. But I did take two things from it. I ride differently, and I realise that I really don't need a fully synth oil.

Coming home from Rotherham rally 2yrs ago
I struggled to start me GP with a cast reed blocked kit, managed to get it running & limped home from York!
On stripping it down I found the rings gummed up & part of the top ring that locates into ring pegs snapped off??

This was using full synthetic Exol & been told by a few people since, others av had similar issues, with gummed rings on cast cylinders?
TS1 using fully synthetic has been fine, checked rings recently & all champo ;-)

Norrie
Norrie Bodge

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm

I suppose it's the heat thing. It probably cooked it. :lol:
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:18 pm

I consider the choices & have always used good oils.

In the early 70’s I started using Filtrate & have witnessed the progression from mineral oils through to synthetics. As a consequence, like many others, I tried the oils that were supposedly ‘superior’ in one way or another, such as Bel-Ray & Castrol R.

Nonetheless, for probably a couple of decades, the oil of choice has been a full synthetic, for road or race.

Bearing in mind the nature of, say, a Group Four with no fan cooling, that is absolutely caned on track, I would say that good fully synthetic oils such as Morris’s, Putoline & Rock are all fairly similar & worked well @ 3%.

In 2012, my local Exol branch gave me five litres to try on track, but I was sceptical & took the softer option of using an oil that other riders relied upon. So, what would you do with five litres of a fully synthetic oil, specific to air cooled two strokes?

Tentatively, I used some in tuned road engines, but was alarmed by the smoke produced, though happy with the look of the internals when stripped down.

Dropping the mix to 2% in 240cc plus cast iron bores & stroked, tuned TS engines has not caused any issue. No rings sticking, excess carbon or piston varnishing has been in evidence, & the TS engine is ridden hard constantly. However, the engines I speak of comprise the optimum squish, bore clearances & are jetted well, which is more than many can claim. (Then again, nor are these engines laboured in high gears during the running in process, which many clearly fail to understand as they plod their engines along thus suffering minimal fan cooling. To make matters worse, they add MORE oil consequently weakening the fuel/air mixture!)

I’ll step down from my high horse now.

Five litres for fifteen quid (cash) of a fully synthetic race oil that is specifically for air cooled engines & can be utilised safely in leaner oil/fuel mixes? No brainer IMO…… :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Meds » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:24 pm

I use exoil fully synth in a rapido and an RT at 3% ish
I rev them a bit and not had a problem in 3 years.
Meds

Postby MickYork » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:45 pm

I have used Exol fully synthetic for over 5 years without issue. It's an Avanti 225 and mainly used for longer trips.On a fill-up I usually top up with 100ml of oil and depending on how much fuel i put in (between 5 & 7.5 litres) this works out between 2 and 3 %.
MickYork

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Must add that I had gummed rings at 3%, then dropped to 2% without any issues.
Rich Oswald

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:Must add that I had gummed rings at 3%, then dropped to 2% without any issues.

Was ran at 3% also Rich
Norrie Bodge

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:51 pm

I honestly don't think there really is a bad oil. I didn't get on with the fully synth at the time, but it's all down to the application and the practice. I always used to run 4% in my 200, but I use 3% semi in everything now. And I'm probably a better rider. So it's win, win really.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. I’ll give the Exol fully synth a go
Storkfoot

Postby Scooterdude » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:09 pm

So are we saying Exol fully synthetic is good if run at 2 or 2.5% but not at 3 or 4% ? As it will gum your ports and rings up? But the Exol super semi is ok to run at any percentage? :?
Scooterdude

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Scooterdude wrote:So are we saying Exol fully synthetic is good if run at 2 or 2.5% but not at 3 or 4% ? As it will gum your ports and rings up? But the Exol super semi is ok to run at any percentage? :?

I can only relay my own experience, but in engines that are not far short of 'de-tuned' race specification, there has been no problem @ 2% with "OPTIMA RACING TWO STROKE (M124)"

Neither did 3% present a problem other than excess smoke, internals drenched with oil (not necessarily a bad thing) & perhaps a tendency to foul plugs. However, the riders of the aforementioned engines do not dawdle..... ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Scooterdude wrote:So are we saying Exol fully synthetic is good if run at 2 or 2.5% but not at 3 or 4% ? As it will gum your ports and rings up? But the Exol super semi is ok to run at any percentage? :?

I suppose we are, roughly speaking. I suspect the semi might burn better for most use, but you still wouldn't want to use more if you didn't need it.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby bike grim » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:49 pm

I use Exol fully synthetic in a iron lined TS1 and a ceramic bore 283, both at 4%. Also in a Rapido at 3%. Very smoky for a few miles before engine fully warmed up and also in slow moving traffic. No other issues.
bike grim

Postby Meds » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:08 am

I’ve just had gummed up rings using exol
But- the rings were badly worn (the gap was about 4mm) and had blowpast, lots of unused 2 stroke knocking around the cylinder.
I suspect the issue is more to do with the rings than the oil
For those who have had gummed rings - what state were the rings in.
Meds

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:49 am

Meds wrote:I’ve just had gummed up rings using exol
But- the rings were badly worn (the gap was about 4mm) and had blowpast, lots of unused 2 stroke knocking around the cylinder.
I suspect the issue is more to do with the rings than the oil
For those who have had gummed rings - what state were the rings in.

Agreed, my rings were very worn (after Euro) when mine gummed up.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

PreviousNext

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3