LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

rear hub bearing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

rear hub bearing

Postby terryj » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:59 pm

is there a way to remove this bearing without going in through the gear box dont fancy a total strip down if i can avoid it
terryj

Re: rear hub bearing

Postby Nigel. S » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Sure there was a method described on old forum, involved welding something onto bearing in order to pull it out. maybe someone will remember.

Or method described in old servicemans guides was to knock it through by hitting the other end of layshaft, but you'll be into strip down territory then.
Nigel. S

Postby JETEX » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:04 am

There probably is a way, but when you knock the new bearing in, it could affect the clearances in the gearbox and you may have to re-shim it.
JETEX

Postby denisiw » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:30 am

The rear hub bearing has a shoulder which locates on the INSIDE of the engine casing, therefore the clutch, gears etc have to be removed.

Sorry, wrong head on this morning! I meant to say that it was not possible to remove the bearing because it has to be knocked out from the INSIDE. Got you thinking though. I suddenly thought about it down the shed and thought I ought to correct what I'd written but someone beat me to it!

Apologies again.

Denis
Last edited by denisiw on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denisiw

Postby Nigel. S » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:01 am

^ is that correct?
Nigel. S

Postby lambypolo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:48 pm

No, the shoulder is effectively on the outside of the casing but the way it sits means it's nigh on impossible to remove it without taking the gearbox out.
lambypolo

Postby terryj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:31 pm

thanks for the replies bit the bullet and went in
good job too it was the end plate coming loose that was the problem not the bearing although i have changed it whilst i was in there
terryj

Postby denisiw » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:22 pm

lambypolo wrote:No, the shoulder is effectively on the outside of the casing but the way it sits means it's nigh on impossible to remove it without taking the gearbox out.

I've corrected my post as below.

Sorry, wrong head on this morning! I meant to say that it was not possible to remove the bearing because it has to be knocked out from the INSIDE. Got you thinking though. I suddenly thought about it down the shed and thought I ought to correct what I'd written but someone beat me to it!

Apologies again.

Denis
denisiw

Postby Scooter Paul » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:58 pm

terryj wrote:thanks for the replies bit the bullet and went in
good job too it was the end plate coming loose that was the problem not the bearing although i have changed it whilst i was in there

For what it's worth and in the spirit of rebuilding the knowledge base I've never had a failed 'hub' bearing. A wobbly wheel has always (in my experience, others will have their opinions) been as a result of a worn bearing or layshaft end at the 'plate' end.

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby Bristol Daz » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:04 pm

I have to say, I'm with Scooter Paul on this, any problems I've had have always been endplate/layshaft bearing related!
Bristol Daz

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3