LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Best way to secure your exhaust manifold?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Best way to secure your exhaust manifold?

Postby bolzenanker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi

As a Body of Knowledge question and to give me a few more ways to fix this regular issue I seem to have, what are your tips for fixing your exhaust manifold in place so that it stays there please?

Many thanks

Warren
bolzenanker

Re: Best way to secure your exhaust manifold?

Postby Eden » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Use proper exhaust nuts and put them the right way round with the raised bit against the washer so it deforms and holds the stud!
Eden

Postby MK Monty » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:21 pm

You can use the extended and drilled nuts that you can wire tie so they dont come loose. Or use a chain tensioner locking washer. The ones shaped like an 8.
Cut it in half. Bend the cut tab down the side of the pipe flange. Tighten the nuts and bend up round the nut.
MK Monty

Postby HxPaul » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:58 am

I use long brass nuts made by Madspeed.They are drilled and tapped and have allen screws.These are tightened against the studs once the nuts are tightened.I put locktite on the allen screws.
HxPaul

Postby terryj » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:07 pm

i like the sound of those for holding the nuts the problem i get is the steel studs stripping out the ally on the mugello cylinder when they shake loose
terryj

Postby St George » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Put the studs in with a small amount of Loctite and as the chaps said use the longer brass nuts with new locking washers. Got mine from Kegra Racing.

Colin
St George

Postby terryj » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:37 pm

trie loctitie on studs without much luck think the ideal would be stainless studs as they would react with the alloy and weld themselves solid
terryj

Postby Toddy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:17 am

MK Monty wrote:You can use the extended and drilled nuts that you can wire tie so they dont come loose. Or use a chain tensioner locking washer. The ones shaped like an 8.
Cut it in half. Bend the cut tab down the side of the pipe flange. Tighten the nuts and bend up round the nut.

^+1^
Toddy

Postby Meds » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:03 am

Has anyone tried using a second brass half nut to lock the main nut in place?
Meds

Postby EddieBLOC » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:14 pm

I use Nordlock washers, 3000 miles never had any leaks
EddieBLOC

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:36 pm

EddieBLOC wrote:I use Nordlock washers, 3000 miles never had any leaks

Yes they won't slip but they are far from easy to get off. I needed a cold chisel and ultimately a new stud.

Always make sure that the exhaust is not unduly stressed at any of the mounting points. This can have an adverse effect. Also, and this is personal opinion, I'd always favour a stub exhaust over the PM style as they are heavy and do seem to pull at the stud mounting points which on an alloy barrel in particular can also result in stripped stud threads in the barrel itself
Storkfoot

Postby modster79 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Use two steel 7mm nuts on each stud, tried all the other methods all came loose in the end. I think I read about the two steel on MRB site somewhere (don't quote me on that). They've held well so far, took them off a couple of times without problem.
modster79

Postby jonashford » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:23 am

i use the extended nuts drilled and put a cable thru the holes, then thru the loops on the exhaust manifold where the springs go to hold it all in place with a couple of trunions
jonashford

Postby davedidsmith » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:07 am

Meds wrote:Has anyone tried using a second brass half nut to lock the main nut in place?

Got the studs loctite into the Mugello manifold, two brass nuts, one acting as locking nut, then in my wisdom decided to drill the locking nut and put wire through. In my excitement of manifold never coming loose again, drilled straight through brass nut, stud and through the exhaust downpipe. :oops: Had a spot weld on the same and no probs since. :D
davedidsmith

Postby soullad » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:01 am

modster79 wrote:Use two steel 7mm nuts on each stud, tried all the other methods all came loose in the end. I think I read about the two steel on MRB site somewhere (don't quote me on that). They've held well so far, took them off a couple of times without problem.

Same here, never had a prob since using this method, and eays to undue too, simply hold one nut and undo the other, placing little stress on the stud.
soullad

Postby JETEX » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:04 pm

I've got a pair of extended nuts, but find I can't put one of them on with my 42 mil AF Clubman pipe.
JETEX

Postby Dazza » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:08 pm

I use a chain tensioner tab washer...cut it in half , bend it around the manifold and the nut...never had one come loose yet..
Dazza

Postby Knowledge » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 pm

JETEX wrote:I've got a pair of extended nuts, but find I can't put one of them on with my 42 mil AF Clubman pipe.

Andy Francis does a long-nut set, where one is much shorter than the other. These are designed specifically for Clubman pipes. If you already have two long nuts, try buying a new set of asymmetric nuts, or a hacksaw. ;)
Knowledge

Postby JETEX » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:08 am

Knowledge wrote:
JETEX wrote:I've got a pair of extended nuts, but find I can't put one of them on with my 42 mil AF Clubman pipe.

If you already have two long nuts, try buying a new set of asymmetric nuts, or a hacksaw. ;)

Some times it's good for someone else to state the 'bleedin obvious that you never thought of !
JETEX

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3