LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Starts 3rd kick ?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Starts 3rd kick ?

Postby St George » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:04 pm

I have a series 3 200 SIL 22mm carb and standard exhaust. The old girl always starts 3rd kick when cold, no problem. Why does everyone else's start first kick or so they say.
Colin
St George

Re: Starts 3rd kick ?

Postby drivera » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:09 pm

or so they say ???
I think lots of us would be happy with a consistent start on 3rd kick from cold :)
drivera

Postby Knowledge » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:49 pm

I'd be very happy with 3rd kick starting from cold.

A scooter that is reluctant to start is simply demanding attention, like a special child. Let it have a bit of attention, before tearing a branch from a tree and beating in a Basil Fawlty style.
Knowledge

Postby Meds » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Wish mine started 3 kick.
Mine starts 3rd or 4rth cold then it depends on which mood it's in when hot
Could be 1 but usually 10 after I have turned the petrol off.
Meds

Postby Tony Hart » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:26 pm

Number of kicks to start depends on whose watching. MOT today at the local Harley Davidson dealership. Scooter starts first kick at home but after the MOT when everyone at the tea van at the garage is watching it was about ten but felt like hundreds :oops:

Tony
Tony Hart

Postby Mel K » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Tony Hart wrote:Number of kicks to start depends on whose watching. MOT today at the local Harley Davidson dealership. Scooter starts first kick at home but after the MOT when everyone at the tea van at the garage is watching it was about ten but felt like hundreds :oops:

Tony

:D with electronic ignition they start a lot better now than they did in the olden days , most of us didn't even bother trying to kick them over then , bump start was much quicker , or was That just me ?
Mel K

Postby Digger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:46 am

My first lambretta didn't have a kickstart as the chaincase was cracked around the shaft!
Digger

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:27 am

Yes, its always got me that "It starts first kick." In my case, if I left one of them for a couple of weeks it would be several kicks before it fired up, but once up and running on a trip out, it would be 2-3 kicks to re-start. But using then regularly, it would still be around 5-6 kicks. I put all this down to waiting for the fuel bit to sort itself out, plus a weak spark. (note all are electronic ignitions.)

However, in the last couple of months, on two of my Lambrettas, I have put new V3 BGM stators in, plus Ky-Tronik advance box. And honestly, they both fire about half way down the first kick, whether cold or hot. In addition, I have just put a new pick up box on a Vespa Malossi and that now starts first kick.

So my new theory is that its the strength of the spark, with the correct timing.
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby piatti » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:25 am

Tony Hart wrote:Number of kicks to start depends on whose watching. MOT today at the local Harley Davidson dealership. Scooter starts first kick at home but after the MOT when everyone at the tea van at the garage is watching it was about ten but felt like hundreds :oops:

Tony

Ha, this is so true, happened to me when I took mine for the MOT.
piatti

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:15 pm

Mel K wrote:

Tony

:D with electronic ignition they start a lot better now than they did in the olden days , most of us didn't even bother trying to kick them over then , bump start was much quicker , or was That just me ?

Agreed Mel but most of us were young enough and fit enough to bump start then but now it's too much like hard work.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3