LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Starting issue

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Starting issue

Postby Jono » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 am

I have a Spanish li150 with a GP barrel fitted and a 22mm New Jetex carb with 42mmAF exhaust.
When starting from cold engine starts ok on choke but every time you open throttle engine engine dies.
Repeated tries eventually gets engine to rev and clear, it then runs ok.
Have cleaned carb jets and checked fuel flow - any ideas what I should try next?
Jono
Jono

Re: Starting issue

Postby Dennie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi,i had a similar problem on my gp 150 with jetex carb and 42 mm clubman.I changed the idle jet for a 45 dellorto because i have read that some jetex idle jets may have issues with manufacture . It seems to be running better from choke now , hope this may be of some help regards dennie.
Dennie

Postby St George » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:55 pm

My new Jetext from Ebay had faulty jets. The pilot had not been drilled out at all. I fitted a 50 Dellorto Pilot to cope with stage four porting and fitted a 118 main. Finally I got a second hand GP 200 atomiser as mine was wrongly fitted with a 150 type. It now goes like stink and they are not a bad carb. I have a spare 45 second hand pilot I could pop in the post. I would try a 50 pilot as well, they are cheap as chips. I have a Ramair filter on mine.

Colin
St George

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:29 pm

St George wrote:My new Jetext from Ebay had faulty jets. The pilot had not been drilled out at all. I fitted a 50 Dellorto Pilot to cope with stage four porting and fitted a 118 main. Finally I got a second hand GP 200 atomiser as mine was wrongly fitted with a 150 type. It now goes like stink and they are not a bad carb. I have a spare 45 second hand pilot I could pop in the post. I would try a 50 pilot as well, they are cheap as chips. I have a Ramair filter on mine.

Colin

Why Oh Why do people persist in buying cheap from Ebay. I have had 3 x Jetex Carbs, all from AF's and all have been trouble free.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Jono » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks for positive replies, I also have purchased 3 good Jetex carbs from Scooter Restorations and had no issues in the past. However this one seems to be an issue, think I will change all the jets while I'am at it as they are reasonably priced.

Any body got any ideas what sizes I should go for with my standard set up - GP150 /22mm Jetex with 42mm AF Exhaust.
Jono
Jono

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 am

Make sure the float freely hinges on the pin as sometimes they are not machined loosely enough and stick both open and closed. Run a small drill bit through the plastic float by hand
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Jono » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks Chris , will check out when carb is In bits to replace jets . Best to eliminate any potential issue as I am becoming a little frustrated with this problem that to date I have been unable to resolve.
Jono
Jono

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3