LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gear selector position?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gear selector position?

Postby Lammer205 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi,

when putting in a new gearbox in what position should the gear selector be in if ya know what i mean or doe's it matter?

Thanks Lammer205
Lammer205

Re: Gear selector position?

Postby carlos fandango » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:58 pm

In neutral , it should point towards the chain case stud, thats between the rear shock mount and clutch arm .....if ya know what i mean :D
carlos fandango

Postby soullad » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:08 pm

yeah, be wary of mix n matching selector rods and actuating arms as some combinations will simply not work .. I found this out once later when the engine was all rebuilt and found I couldn't select 4th. Moving the actuating arm a spline didn't help, so I rebuilt the gearbox, moving the pawls on the selector rod a spline, to rebuild it all to find I couldn't now select 1 st ..... ended up replacing the selector rod and arm for a known working matching pair as all was good.
So check your gear selection as soon as you can after securing the endplate.

I now dot punch the pawl / selector rod position when stripping every motor ... a tip from me ole mucka Sausage ;) ;)
soullad

Postby Ken Tucky » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:53 pm

Have to agree with soullad,
Check it when you've put your end plate back on and before you put the clutch/primary drive in.
It does matter to get this correctly postioned otherwise you'll be fannying around at the handlebar end wonder wtf's up with it.............

Having been sprinting for many years and undertaking many/read - 'very many' gearbox strip downs you'd think that I'd have got the hang of it by now.
So if its of any help/consolation - about 4/5 years ago I was upgrading just about every moving part to do with gear selection in my sprinter, to remove any sloppiness.
I put a non innocenti gear selector - the part with the pawls on it, (not a selector cursor/sliding dog) in, brand new...................
I must have stripped the gearbox 20/25 times, I'm not exaggerating btw, because I either couldn't get fourth or couldn't get first and could not get the bell crank lever to sit in its rightful position in neutral.

I ended up putting my 'old', Innocenti selector arm' back in.

When I finally got around to checking this in another engine down at Chiselspeed's it was found to be impossible to build - it looks like the splines had been wrongly machined in the arm, so it was never going to build was it.

This may not be your problem - in your case it maybe that you've just got to move the arm on the splines to get it OK.

A bit extreme perhaps, but if its happened to me well ................it could happen to anyone.........

Mr Tucky
Ken Tucky

Postby Wack » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:57 pm

I like to set the selector in 4th then fit the gear and check the dogs line up with the gear cog, then select 3rd and fit the cog again until all the gears are fitted. I've seen a few cases where the wishbone has hit the casing around the hub bearing and needed grinding plus the selector dogs catching the gears in neutral.
Wack

Postby JETEX » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:03 am

I find that with the gearbox totally stripped, when the selector fork hits the casing, the vertical selector rod should be about 5mm from the part of the casing where the back brake cable goes through ( if that makes sense ). That will ensure that the gearbox will get the 4th gear. It will be seen that it's obviously wrong if it's even only one spline out in either direction.
JETEX

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3