LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Side panel security

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Side panel security

Postby Jono » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi guys, whilst out Sunday for a ride in the sunshine had a side panel come off for whatever reason.
Fortunately no one was hurt and no second party damage just a need for a respray to the offside panel.

Whilst this has never happened before I was wondering is their a method to firmly secure the side panels that does not destroy the look/lines of the panel. I have both Li and GP scooters that I would like to protect against such an event happening again.

All advice / ideas greatly received . Jono
Jono

Re: Side panel security

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:55 pm

The panel locks that MB and other supply have saved me a number of times. In the past I've had a number of panels pop off or try to escape, leading to me fitting these to most of my panels as security against theft and security against them simply coming of as a result of poor fit, poor quality retaining clips and or being knocked off by the pipe under suspension movement.

I know of lots of people that have suffered this same fate :(

For those people that complain about them being a 1990s look, if you go through some of the old Scooter World mags (or similar late 60s/early 70s vintage) then you'll see a GP200E with this same type fitted.... which is good enough for me :D

A pal of mine that said he didn't want to drill holes in his panels to fit them and it was only a matter of weeks after finishing his nut and bolt resto that he lost a panel face down on the tarmac, which didn't do much for his £1200 paint job :(

Adam

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/s ... l1157.html

... a quick search will find these at plenty of other dealers too.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Dimitrios 231 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:42 pm

PJ Oakley (right),Motogiro 68.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dimitrios 231

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Well spotted :)
Adam_Winstone

Postby JETEX » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 pm

I've got SX 200 panels with roller type handles. Once I clip the panels on, I fit an ' R ' clip over the panel spring just in front of the roller. It should stop the roller coming off the spring, but I hope I never have to find out !
JETEX

Postby Scooterslag » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am

its a bit bodgey but for a quick secure job- I cable tire my SX panels around the panel mechanism and the panel clips, you need to cut them off if you need to get the panel off but it will lock the panel enough to put off any opportunist thief. Paul
Scooterslag

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:14 pm

JETEX wrote:I've got SX 200 panels with roller type handles. Once I clip the panels on, I fit an ' R ' clip over the panel spring just in front of the roller. It should stop the roller coming off the spring, but I hope I never have to find out !

I also have SX200 panels with roller type handles.Once I fasten the panels in place I fit jubilee clips on the panel spring just in front of the rollers.This hopefully stops anyone steeling the panels.
HxPaul

Postby landybretta » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:53 pm

HxPaul wrote:
JETEX wrote:I've got SX 200 panels with roller type handles. Once I clip the panels on, I fit an ' R ' clip over the panel spring just in front of the roller. It should stop the roller coming off the spring, but I hope I never have to find out !

I also have SX200 panels with roller type handles.Once I fasten the panels in place I fit jubilee clips on the panel spring just in front of the rollers.This hopefully stops anyone steeling the panels.

I have a Silver Special with roller type handles.
I put a thread each side of the bracket. (5 minute job if you have access to a suitable die)
I cut a suitable piece of rubber and put a hole through the centre.
I put this on the end of the bracket after fastening the panels and then fit a nyloc nut.
Not fool proof but will put off or delay anyone after your panels
landybretta

Postby grandpa » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi Jono,
I posted this on the old forum.Using some 6 inch mending plates cut and bend the diagonal as per the picture then offer up the second strip and mark where the bolt will need to be fitted.Fit the panel and drill securing hole.I used a captive nut held in position by a strip of alloy floor channel .for increased security use a security allen bolt
ImageImage
You cannot get the panel off unless you remove the bolt

Grandpa
grandpa

Postby Scooterlam » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:36 am

Ive found somee purpose made ones in the garage plastic coated grey, ill post pics later
Scooterlam

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:31 am

On eBay at the moment.
Scooterlam

Postby AndyVee » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Not sure this has been raised before but I have had plenty of help from this Forum so trying to give a little back : (Think this only applies to Series 1/2 Owners)

Have recently finished a series 2 build and worked out that anyone can lift off my panels and walk away with them and estimate about £300 a pair to replace. :( (Adding a large lock and chain doesnt help !)
Not wanting to drill additional holes for locks that spoil the original look came up with this simple idea.

Drilled a small 4mm hole through the housing that the panel handle locks into and purchased some stainless Clevis Pins from Ebay £2.59. Once the panel has been closed these can be inserted through the housing and locked in place with the R-clip supplied.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HY8XZYEJCnHao3py6

A little messing about with some washers and spring washers packed out the gap and stopped any movement or rattles. Added some grease to stop any rusting.

I know it is not a permanent security fixture but would deter a thief as would probably take a few minutes to work out how to remove the pins. (The pins can be removed at the roadside without any tools so access is not heavily hampered.)

If you wanted to go a step further you could use a split pin and bend it over, unlikely for someone without tools to be able to remove easily.
AndyVee

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3