LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Front Light

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Front Light

Postby coaster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:28 pm

FNF, I have been running HID's in both my scooters using the Jockey's reflector for over 3 years both have been run in torrential rain and I have only ever had one slight problem which was caused by a loose connection on the battery. My first conversion has the wires to the ballast extended using ordinary vehicle wire and heat shrink and has never suffered from water ingress :? Using a BGM stator, my voltmeter reads 14.2 volts at speeds over 30mph and drops to 13 or so volts around town. That is on both scooters and I use a 5 Ah battery of the motorcycle type as the bolt type connectors are far better than the spade connectors on alarm batteries which are prone to failure in my experience.

You refer to an 'ignitor', do you mean the ballast unit?
coaster

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:17 am

Yeah ... Ignitor ... ballast.... same thing.
I have the same jockeys headlamp also.
Could just be the make / model of HID kit that I'm using? lets face it, there's a plethora of them out there. Technically, a combined ballast/ bulb holder and bulb is tidier than the remote ballast method I'm using at the moment. Water + 23 thousand volts don't mix well.
Fast n Furious

Postby MK Monty » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm with Coaster on these but I have never got round to doing away with the relay and black thingermybob. It's behind my Horne grill with a bit of thin milk bottle plastic cut down and painted black to keep the worst of the weather out. No problems with my small battery the only problem I do have is going from dip to full beam. If I don't snap it over quickly I loose the light and have to turn the key to off and on again. Seems to be the relay and I'm sure Coasters fix of doing away with it would work. Mine was a cheap eBay one and I still have a spare unused lamp and Ballast. I'm not putting in many miles at the moment (playing with a Bond Equipe) in fact I'm not really a good advert unlike Coaster but I can go in the shed and turn my lights on and it works everytime full Wassel DC and a small alarm battery, without the engine running.
MK Monty

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:30 am

Yes MK. Mine's a similar setup except the ignitor sits on top the wiring in the headset. I just find that a 2.1AH battery just hasn't the capacity to remain charged if you sit at a lot of traffic lights on tickover. Absolutely fine out on the open road. 4.8AH would do just fine. I will get around to changing it before next season.
I don't have the dim beam switch-over problem. I use the type that use an electromagnetic solenoid to move the shield reflector surrounding the arc bulb to go from dip to beam. These work the best as your not trying to pull 3 Amps of current through a part corroded 50 year old headlight switch.
Fast n Furious

Postby Meds » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 am

I have finally gotten round to fitting my jockeys headlamp, so far I’m happy with the results but entirely underwhelmed by the product pack.
I had to expand the ring in boiling water to get it to fit on the lens unit.
There we no securing screws or spring clip in the pack.
The pivot lugs were too long and fouled on the edge of the headset.
Otherwise it was fine.
Meds

Postby MK Monty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 pm

no pain no gain, on my series 1 the sealed unit stuck out of the rim too far and you could see the grey plastic. I found a bulk CD spindle, the translucent cover to be the same diameter and cut a 3-4mm plastic spacer, a hot knife left me with a ring that went in the rim then the JB unit with just enough of the tabs left to hold it all in. It cannot be seen once fitted and I added some silicon job done. Sticks out the same as the reeded glass but its clear. The different fitting rings do look a bit iffy but you can spend more getting a good replacement reflector, glass and lamp holder if you are doing a rebuild, I paid 40 quid for a reflector that had a thumb print on the inside that I hadn't spotted. Stuck a finger in with a cloth and polished the silver coating off down to the brass. Bugger :lol:
MK Monty

Postby Meds » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 pm

We do put up with some Sh@t products
Never mind it’s on now, my big box or screws and a new clip,from scootopia will see it right.
Next, the HID conversion.
Meds

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:30 am

It seems to be pot luck finding a headlight rim now that doesn't need some fettlin. I spent hours and hours on some.
Fast n Furious

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3