LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Is the CDI 12v? [pic]

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Is the CDI 12v? [pic]

Postby Storkfoot » Sat May 31, 2014 9:14 pm

I have had a big clear up of the garage over the last couple of days, during which I've been trying to sort out spares for Davos. I happened upon this CDI which I know I have used in the past. Logic tells me this is a 12v Ducati which is exactly want I want as a spare.

But, somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm thinking I last used this many years ago on a 6v set up.

How can you tell please?

Storkfoot

Re: Is the CDI 12v? [pic]

Postby Toddy » Sat May 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Paul , I have one of them as well that I found so I would be interested to know as well :D
Toddy

Postby Knowledge » Sat May 31, 2014 9:26 pm

Paul,

As the 12v lighting coils and the ignition coil on a stator are completely separate circuits, there is no such thing as a 12v CDI.

All CDI units are interchangeable. I have even got 'unfamiliar' CDI units from motorsickles to work with six pole stators.

My CDI is blue, just like the one in the photo, and it is good to go.
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Sat May 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Well, I'm shocked :o I never knew that but, then again, electrics are not my strong point.

Bugger, in my garage clear out today, I binned what I thought was a perfectly usable 6v CDI :cry:

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Perhaps, this time it isn't :D

Thanks, Martin.
Storkfoot

Postby jonashford » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:31 am

If I were you Id check it works before you use it as a spare. At the clacton to southend rally recently, I discovered Id been carrying a duff cdi round in my spares for almost 2 years!!!
jonashford

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3