LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Lost me ignition key!

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Lost me ignition key!

Postby EddieStone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Scoot's at work, and I'v lost me flipping key.

It's an '87 Indian GP150, what options are there?

(please don't mention a spare. I doubt there ever was one!)
EddieStone

Re: Lost me ignition key!

Postby dickie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Pull the green wire off the cdi.

It'll get you home. Then stall it or kill the engine with the choke.
dickie

Postby Knowledge » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Will an ‘87 Bretta have a CDI from which you could pull the green wire?

Maybe
Knowledge

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 pm

^... Martin, are you suggesting that there might still be an 87 SIL GP with reliable factory points setup?! :lol:
Adam_Winstone

Postby EddieStone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Adam_Winstone wrote:^... Martin, are you suggesting that there might still be an 87 SIL GP with reliable factory points setup?! :lol:

Ahem. Yes it is an 87 SIL GP with reliable factory points set up. I ride it to work everyday.

I pull the green wire out of the contact block don't I?

Trouble is when I ride it home, it's dark and I need the lights (which also work reliably on an 87 SIL GP....!)
EddieStone

Postby dickie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:13 am

EddieStone wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote:^... Martin, are you suggesting that there might still be an 87 SIL GP with reliable factory points setup?! :lol:

Ahem. Yes it is an 87 SIL GP with reliable factory points set up. I ride it to work everyday.

Trouble is when I ride it home, it's dark and I need the lights (which also work reliably on an 87 SIL GP....!)

The green wire doesn't affect the lighting circuit. It's only used to ground the LT supply and kill ignition. If it's the usual green wire anyway.
dickie

Postby EddieStone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am

Any recommendations of somewhere to get a replacement barrel?

It's a points AC. Sort of 12V, I think.
EddieStone

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 pm

EddieStone wrote:

Eddie,

I'm glad, and impressed, to hear it. I'm a big fan of SIL stuff and actually a fan of any reliable ignition, whether it be points or electronic, total loss, whatever.

Before Euro Lambretta Ireland (Millstreet) I swapped out my 6V electronic system for 12V DC points + battery as I wanted better lights. Everybody thought me mad but the bike didn't miss a beat :)

Good luck sorting the key issue.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby EddieStone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Cheers Adam. I checked with Jem Booth, Lambretta key master, and he identified the lock as an aftermarket one, so I've bought a replacement rather than mess about trying to find a key.

I fitted electronic ignition to my Li and it made a fantastic difference. I'm planning electronic for the GP, but thinks like getting it re-bored and fitting ignition locks keep getting in the way!

What I am impressed by is the lights. It seems to be 12V ac lights and points. Or at least 12V lights.
EddieStone

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3