LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

series 1 headlight problem

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

series 1 headlight problem

Postby jacktheripper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi All

I have just put new points in scoot as the old ones disintegrated, I have never changed before but done and scoot starts, trouble is that i now have no front light, i have power to side light ( festoon ) but not main bulb, I know its not the holder as i have tried 3 and also changed bulbs, There was slight damage to coil but wire bent not broken, There is power going to top and if i put power direct to back of the bulb terminal it works ANY IDEAS?

JTR
jacktheripper

Re: series 1 headlight problem

Postby Toddy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 pm

jacktheripper wrote:Hi All

I have just put new points in scoot as the old ones disintegrated, I have never changed before but done and scoot starts, trouble is that i now have no front light, i have power to side light ( festoon ) but not main bulb, I know its not the holder as i have tried 3 and also changed bulbs, There was slight damage to coil but wire bent not broken, There is power going to top and if i put power direct to back of the bulb terminal it works ANY IDEAS?

JTR

Just a thought Is it earthed through the rim or to the scooter ?
Toddy

Postby jacktheripper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:52 pm

hi there

it is earthed from the frame, i have checked the earth and its fine, its really baffling me

john
jacktheripper

Postby MK Monty » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:19 am

If the lamp lights with the brown direct to the holder earths etc are ok. Check the connections from the cluster of brown and purples off to the switch and back to the bulb. The series 1 switch is a bit iffy at the best of times. A spring
Loaded ball bearing and a block of brass pushing against some posts. The posts can come loose, and the contact surfaces can arc and burn clean them up with some Emory. I drilled the middle of the posts and used a small nut and bolt through them
MK Monty

Postby jacktheripper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:28 am

cheers for that , the problem is that i have tried another switch that i know works from my other series 1 and i still have the same problem, somebody has suggested that it may be a stator coil?
jacktheripper

Postby jacktheripper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:32 pm

the light works if i put power direct to bak of bulb??????
jacktheripper

Postby MK Monty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:45 pm

I often see these electrickery questions and they all go so far then stall. A voltmeter is a cheap tool that can tell you so much quickly. So you have a series 1. It sounds like you are running 6 v with points. You have 3 coils all outputting voltsfor 3 parts of the system. You may or may not have a voltage regulator. Your stator willoutput on the brown purple and pink? It's easy to see if you have an AC voltage on each of them. If it's from the stator it will be something like 3 or 4 volts at tick over and go up to 10 or higher with some revs. Once you have it at the stator connect to the loom and check the wires at the headset. With the feed wire out of the connector block. The volts should be the same. You could connect the loom brown to the headlight direct. If it lights that coil is good. Then do the purple, pink is normally back light. Get to the point you can light the bulb direct then it does off to the light switch and out to the lamp. Also is this a standard series 1 light switch or have you got a series 3 type ignition switch.
MK Monty

Postby jacktheripper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:01 pm

hi there are 2 x coils and it has the original series 1 switch

cheers

john
jacktheripper

Postby Marty ULC » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:42 am

I had a dodgy main beam, had started to flicker then failed last week, tried everything I could think of.
Turned out the connectors on the bulb holder were corroded, a bit of wet&dry on the female bullet terminals and the prongs for the back of the bulb sorted it.
Marty ULC

Postby jacktheripper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:30 pm

cheers for that but i have tried another holder that i know works and same thing happens
jacktheripper

Postby jacktheripper » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

im still trying to work this out any ideas you lot

i have power going to headset but main light not working, the pilot and side do and i know its not the holder because ive tried a few, what can it be????????
jacktheripper

Postby jacktheripper » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 pm

anyone know?
jacktheripper

Postby Toddy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

jacktheripper wrote:anyone know?

Few thoughts

Have you tested the feeds with a multimeter ?

Have you tried touching the blue/red wires to the back of the bulb whilst earthed?

Is it ignition or switch are you happy switch is the ok ?
Toddy

Postby jacktheripper » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 pm

hi toddy i have tried everything except touching blue/red wires direct to bulb but i will tomorrow, not sure what this will tell me though? as i know the holder is good, i will post tomorrow after trying, its driving me mad as i would think that because i have power up there the main bulb should work?

john
jacktheripper

Postby Toddy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:58 pm

jacktheripper wrote:hi toddy i have tried everything except touching blue/red wires direct to bulb but i will tomorrow, not sure what this will tell me though? as i know the holder is good, i will post tomorrow after trying, its driving me mad as i would think that because i have power up there the main bulb should work?

john

Touching them will tell you if the bulb holder is faulty

Have you got a good earth fitted seperatly ?
Toddy

Postby jacktheripper » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:32 pm

hi yes good earth and i have tried different bulb holders, still same problem
jacktheripper

Postby MK Monty » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Jack, it aint going to get fixed via a keyboard we can point out some of the bleeding obvious but you need to move on to checking stuff with a volt meter. or at least a bulb with a couple of crock clips. Your bike has more than one feed up from the stator. I'm not going through diagrams to try and work out what setup you may have but one of your feeds is obviously working as your side light is working. If you get a bulb with one wire going to a good earth you can connect the other end to the purple, brown or grey or pink coming up from the rear end, at the end of the day you can start at the exit from the stator and see what you have before connecting anything. then add regulator if you have one then move on step by step. Disconnect everything from the bulb holder and connection block behind the headlight to see if anything has changed. The connector blocks that bolts on the frame don't have a back on them and its very easy to push the bullets in too far and short out on the frame. once you get power on more than just one feed at the block move on to the headlight bulb holder and light switch.
Good luck and let there be light, happy new year. May help if you add your location to your details we may have a wizkid just down the road from you :idea:
MK Monty

Postby xenia1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Just spotted this thread and its certainly given me a few pointers. Ive got the same problem with my Tv1, no headlight. Will be buying a voltmeter as its also baffled me so far as well..
Thanks MK Monty..
xenia1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3