LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

flywheel removal

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

flywheel removal

Postby Charliebubble47 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:18 am

Hi

this may be a daft question but is there a cheats way to remove the fly wheel without the holding tool

and before anyone says it a angle grinder is not a cheats way :D :D

need to change my stator but don't have the right tools

cheers in advance

CB
Charliebubble47

Re: flywheel removal

Postby rossclark » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:57 am

You can find ways to jam the crank / flywheel while you loosen the nut, getting rid of the need for the holding tool, such as a bit of rope threaded between the fins which can be used in a pinch or a knotted rope down the plug hole. You can also make a tool with a bar and a couple of bolts.

But that's only half the battle you still need an extractor to break the taper on the crank and remove the flywheel after the nut is off, you might be able to shock it of by putting the nut on and giving it a tap with a hammer but you need to be careful not to damage the threads on the crank or you're really in trouble.

None of this is recommended practice.

Bottom line though is that if you're replacing the stator you'll want it on and off more than once while you adjust the timing. The tools are cheap enough and make the job so much easier. Someone local might even have some you can borrow.
rossclark

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:18 am

A £25 spend will get you the extractor and holding tool. Well worth the money.
Spanish machines use a slightly bigger extractor, in which case, buy the dual ended one.
It's just not worth considering alternatives.
Fast n Furious

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 am

Just DON'T.

That flywheel will NEVER come off without an extractor.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby HxPaul » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:33 am

Double ended,buy one and stick it in your toolbox and then you wont be tempted to get the flywheel off any other way.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-FL ... Zz9UoeGdww
HxPaul

Postby Scooterdude » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:58 am

Charliebubble47 wrote:need to change my stator but don't have the right tools

Well buy the right tools like everyone on here, cheaper to buy right tools rather than a new mag flange, flywheel and possibly crank + more "right tools". just saying..
Scooterdude

Postby Charliebubble47 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks for the advice gents will have to stop being tight / frugal and get some cash spent :D :D
Charliebubble47

Postby Toddy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:56 pm

You can use an old Lambretta chain put Round the engine mount and through the fins acts as holding tool
Toddy

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:40 pm

^... stop it!

Buy the right tools and don't put your parts at risk, otherwise you are very likely to break fins off or crack something.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Phil D » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Charliebubble47 wrote:Thanks for the advice gents will have to stop being tight / frugal and get some cash spent :D :D

Some tools you can make yourself but the flywheel puller isn't really one of them :D
There was a thread on here a while back with a drawing of a bar with bolts for locking the flywheel I made a few for people.
I think I've got a spare double ended puller and a spare stickys 1st edition going cheap.
Pm me if your interested . ;)
Phil D

Postby MK Monty » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:18 pm

As others have said a holding tool can be cheated but not the extractor. I don't think I missed it in any of the above but don't forget the flywheel nut is bog handed. You turn it clockwise to remove it. Easy until you try and torque the ruddy thing up as most torque wrenches only work one way. More than one of us have stripped nuts or worse waiting for the click that never came.
MK Monty

Postby rossclark » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:41 pm

Keith Newmans holding tool is priceless - not only does two and three hole flywheels but steering nuts and hub nuts.

This
rossclark

Postby grandpa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi Charlie,
As many have said you should always use the correct tool.However, I did have had a flywheel removal tool made of cheese .I have removed an Indian flywheel using two M10x 80 coach bolts with two flats filed on the bolt head. Insert the bolts and turn 90 degrees with a very stout bar with holes to line up with bolts place bar across flywheel nut and tighten coach bolts.(i used a neighbours two pronged puller that had a bar with two slots for the coach bolts.)
Imagebolts 002 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156795374@N05/] on Flickr

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141&p=528&hilit=flywheel+holder#p528
I do now have a UK made flywheel puller made of steel :D
Grandpa
grandpa

Postby EddieStone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm

The 'best' method for undoing the flywheel nut that I've used in an emergency without having access to a flywheel holding tool is a piece of rope.

A piece of rope about 6mm thick - tie a knot in the end and poke it down the spark plug hole. The knot jams against the piston and the head allowing you to undo the left handed flywheel nut. It doesn't damage either surface. You just need to be aware of where the piston is so the rope doesn't fall into a port. But it works well. In an emergency, I stress.

Works OK for doing the nut up as well.

I've always had a flywheel puller - they're cheap and small enough to fit in the toolbox compared to the flywheel holder - so I've never had to find a way of removing one without it. If I was really stuck, I'd consider loosening the nut and either running the engine (if it runs) or push starting the bike in gear to get the flywheel to spin and hope it loosens. You'd risk shearing the woodruff key and damaging the crank, keyway or flywheel, but it depends on what the alternative is!

You can get away without a holder, but realistically you need the puller.
EddieStone

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3