LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Which Flywheel and Stator Plate should i buy

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Which Flywheel and Stator Plate should i buy

Postby grumpar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Which Flywheel and Stator Plate should i buy for a lis 150.
My lights are crap and my 6v keeps playing up so i think it's time to change it all to 12v
grumpar

Re: Which Flywheel and Stator Plate should i buy

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Talk to Anthony Tambs. He might be on here somewhere, but he's certainly on FB. Doing some great electrical work for Lambrettas.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:22 pm

This is Anthony Tambs FB page (Lambretta Tuning) Lots of good stuff to see about his top notch stators, CD's and other electrickery

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1655094024723306/
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby Knowledge » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:13 am

I recommend Anthony’s products, but the OP asked for flywheel recommendations too and Anthony does not sell flywheels.

Has the forum any recommendations on flywheels? Is the BGM flywheel any good?

Having asked that question, I note the OP has an engine with a small taper crank, so the choice of electronics flywheel may be limited. However, he only has issues with the lights, and not the ignition circuit. Perhaps the stator could be re-wired to give more power from the lighting coils, but leave the points intact. There would be no need for a change of flywheel. Now that is something that Anthony Tambs could do, or Jarv at Lambretta Rehab.
Knowledge

Postby HxPaul » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:31 am

I use an Indian AC 12v stator plate and flywheel on both of my scooters without a problem.I have heard about the LT coil on India stator plates breaking down,so I've ordered a CDI from anthony which runs off the lighting coils on a stator plate by wiring into the three pin regulator and cuts out the LT coil completely.
HxPaul

Postby bike grim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:05 am

Anthony Tambs does also sell the Indian type flywheels same as SIL flywheel.
bike grim

Postby waddo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:06 am

If your looking for a system that works supplied has a full and complete kit to replace your 6 volt points flywheel set up. Then the Varitronic kit takes some beating, buy it, fit it, forget it. Job done. Just follow the instructions that come in the box. I have fitted loads of Varitronic kits with no problems. Hope this helps.
waddo

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Technically, a 12V plate will not give better lights than a 6V assuming like for like conditions. They would both offer the same output power.
Try disconnecting the stator's lighting output from the Joint box or regulator and connect it directly to a 25W 6V bulb. If the lumination of this bulb is still crap then you can safely assume the problem lies with the stator or the flywheels magnetic flux value. If the light shines bright, then the problem exists in the Frame wiring, Joint box or Regulator. In which case, a new stator and flywheel will just be the wrong way to go.
If the test suggests its the generator at fault, then I would beg / borrow a 6V stator and substitute. If this gave the same result then a substituted flywheel should cure it. There's loads of old 6V stuff out there. Worth trying before buying!
Fast n Furious

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Knowledge wrote:I recommend Anthony’s products, but the OP asked for flywheel recommendations too and Anthony does not sell flywheels.

I'd like to know what the big, round, finny thing he sold to me was then? :D
ToBoldlyGo

Postby grumpar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:Technically, a 12V plate will not give better lights than a 6V assuming like for like conditions. They would both offer the same output power.
Try disconnecting the stator's lighting output from the Joint box or regulator and connect it directly to a 25W 6V bulb. If the lumination of this bulb is still crap then you can safely assume the problem lies with the stator or the flywheels magnetic flux value. If the light shines bright, then the problem exists in the Frame wiring, Joint box or Regulator. In which case, a new stator and flywheel will just be the wrong way to go.
If the test suggests its the generator at fault, then I would beg / borrow a 6V stator and substitute. If this gave the same result then a substituted flywheel should cure it. There's loads of old 6V stuff out there. Worth trying before buying!

Hi i think the stator/ flywheel have just about had it . The magnets are very poor on the flywheel and iv'e tried wiring a bulb direct and it makes no difference at all and previously I had no back light at tick over until fitting a lower wattage front bulb.

Also i had to set the timing up again last weekend and all was running fine with a strong blue spark I tried it again this weekend and had hardly any spark to no spark on some kicks so its not running again.

I just think its time to upgrade to something else I've bought a new loom and a frame bracket for the regulator etc +12v bulbs with a BGM LED back I was looking at these complete kits only for the reason that they should all be compatible with each other.The BGM £324.94 (ebay) or beed speed £166. As i said only for the reasons they are kits i have noticed there is a vast price difference in whats available is it a case of you get what you pay for? I am not particularly looking for something cheep or high performance just reliability thanks for all the replies.
grumpar

Postby dickie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Might be a bit late if you've already invested in a few parts but what about just getting your flywheel remagnetised for about 15 quid?

I'm assuming you've been happy with it until it began to falter.
dickie

Postby Ranburetta » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:07 pm

For a standard or 185/186 set up I suggest you consider the Ducati electronic kit.

Made in Italy by Ducati for Tutto Lambretta - part of their Stratos Line:

http://www.tuttolambretta.com/prodotto/ ... oad-dl-gp/

Decent piece of kit as you would expect from Ducati and comes in a box with almost everything you are going to need including flywheel, stator, bolt on nylon fan, bolt on cover (comes in two weights but only lighter one is in the kit), junction box, mounting kit, additional wiring in grey and black, CDI, regulator and even includes the terminals, a new flywheel nut, washer and woodruff key. Certificate from Ducati as to balance.

Straightforward to set up using the supplied locating template for the stator and apparently the CDI does the necessary variable timing electrickery.

Original loom can be used (so long as it is OK), otherwise all you will need to buy are the 12v bulbs.

The only drawback is the glossy comprehensive colour instruction booklet is in Italian but it it was pretty straightforward to work out what was needed from the pictures and wiring diagrams for different set ups. There is a video on U-Tube (also in Italian!).

Supposed to have 120 watt output and the lights are the best I have had on a Lambretta in a long while.

Versions for Li and GP cranks supplied by Scootopia in the UK for £325.00.

http://www.scootopia.co.uk/product/7413 ... tronic-kit

Here was mine:
Ducati Kit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranburetta

Postby Phil D » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:50 pm

As others have said have a word with Anthony Tambs he will put you right .
He is very busy for a reason ,in fact I'm packing a stator for him to repair at this very moment.
Phil D

Postby Knowledge » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 pm

bike grim wrote:Anthony Tambs does also sell the Indian type flywheels same as SIL flywheel.

I stand corrected, and apologise for my error.
Knowledge

Postby coaster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:19 am

Knowledge wrote:............I note the OP has an engine with a small taper crank, so the choice of electronics flywheel may be limited

This is the most important point, mall of the suggestions assume that the engine has a GP taper. That said, I believe Scooter Restorations sell an electronic flywheel with the Li taper so that is what I would do and then buy one of Antony Tambs stators or a BGM although the BGM might need some minor adjustments to the pickup height using the supplied shims....Actually I think Anthony's flywheel does too.

As for achieving a decent headlamp, that depends on your riding requirements. Running around urban roads at night you don't need too much but venturing into unlit country lanes will require other upgrades to the light unit itself tbh.
coaster

Postby Meds » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:07 am

That depends upon how much you want to spend then what you need it for.
Firtst identify what flywheel you need, Li or Gp taper, dont be tempted by a light weight flywheel, I have AF midweight ones and they work fine with a BGM and an old repaired AF stator.
My opinion only
Anthony Tambs stator, why, their build quality is great and they are fully tested.
If you want a battery then go full DC, the cost isnt much more and the lights are significantly better.
But.
if you have crap earths, poor condition wiring and connections your lights will still be rubbish.
there are some issues that can arise
1. pick up alignment, sometimes the pickup height needs adjusting to match the flywheel
2. Timing will need to be set using a strobe as the stator/flywheel timing marks can be out.
Meds

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 am

I'll probably get shot down for this but £98 will buy the complete kit except bulbs. Or £70 delivered direct from India.
Not expensive. I have fitted half a dozen of these and nobody's ever come back.
Sometimes on threads like these people will try to spend your life savings for you.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby HxPaul » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 am

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:I'll probably get shot down for this but £98 will buy the complete kit except bulbs. Or £70 delivered direct from India.
Not expensive. I have fitted half a dozen of these and nobody's ever come back.
Sometimes on threads like these people will try to spend your life savings for you.

I have seen these cheap Indian 12v kits and their is a lot of talk about the LT coil failing.It may or may not fail,but if it does you have no choice but to take the flywheel off and replace/repair the stator.This can be almost imposible if it goes in the middle of the night miles away from civilisation.If your carrying an Anthony Tambs or Readspeed Lukas CDI,its just a case of changing the CDI that you are using for one of these.Anthony Tambs also does an external pick-up kit,if your pick-up goes you just swap to the external pick-up and just change the wiring over on your CDI and your up and running again.
HxPaul

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:26 am

It is pot luck with a lot of parts these days. My riding partner's BGM stator failed on him en route to Shipston this year. Replaced it with my £32 Indian stator and never missed a beat after that.
I've got Anthony's external pick up and his crowd funded stator but yet to fit. Was waiting for a breakdown lol.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Phil D » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 pm

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:It is pot luck with a lot of parts these days. My riding partner's BGM stator failed on him en route to Shipston this year. Replaced it with my £32 Indian stator and never missed a beat after that.
I've got Anthony's external pick up and his crowd funded stator but yet to fit. Was waiting for a breakdown lol.

Has anyone had one of these expensive kits Variatronic etc repaired?
Phil D

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3