LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

ACID DIPPED/VAPOUR BLASTED CASINGS

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

ACID DIPPED/VAPOUR BLASTED CASINGS

Postby wurzel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:09 pm

I'm about to start building an engine but the casing has quite a bit of oxidisation due to
it having been laid up since 1970. I've always just cleaned casings up in a parts washer
before rebuilding them in the past but this time I'm looking to try something a bit different.
I have a side casing that's been media blasted and looks horrendous, so I don't want to go
that way, but I'm told vapour blasting doesn't adversely affect the surface of the metal.
I've also been on Rimini's site and looked at the acid dipping but don't particularly want
to send the casings by courier to Italy.
Has anyone had a casing acid dipped in this country and are there any acid dippers or vapour
blasters that anyone has used in the North East area ?

Regards Mark
wurzel

Re: ACID DIPPED/VAPOUR BLASTED CASINGS

Postby Scooterdude » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Why don’t you look at what Mark Broadhurst calls his restoration polish, case goes into a tumbler machine, results look amazing.
Scooterdude

Postby bike grim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm

I’ve had some casings dipped ( place in Preston) and they tended to go slightly darker grey which I think is due to whatever they neutralise the acid with but otherwise look fine for a short time. I’ve also had some vapour blasted and whilst that looks better once it’s done a few hundred miles in the British weather it looks just the same as before. Whilst it’s nice to build into nice clean casings I’d stick to what you normally do to be honest and save your money. I use an old paint brush and diesel to get the crap off and then carb or brake cleaner to rinse them off.
bike grim

Postby xenia1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:16 pm

xenia1

Postby wurzel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:48 pm

To be honest, as you say diesel or paraffin and an old brush is what I've used in the past but
I'm getting to the point where I don't have the time or inclination to stand for hours on end
cleaning things down and rubbing up casings.
My hands aren't what they used to be and I'd just like an easier way to clean these casings
and hopefully keep them cleanish without quite as much effort
I'm even starting to find it hard holding the brush in the parts washer now.
wurzel

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm

I sympathise with you, wurzel, but can't help thinking it's a good thing Aladdin never took that attitude .... :roll:

However, when you say 'media blasting' does that include bead?

Over the years, I've had bead blasting done to engine components mainly because "I know a man" but have always been pleased with the result which wards off further deterioration for a while. I doubt any treatment would last indefinitely other than some form of coating.

I agree that acid dipped cases look absolutely grunt-worthy, & they would probably last a while in a better climate than ours, but IMHO that treatment would be a natural choice for a Concours/Show/Museum project, though feel somehow that even brand new cases were never meant to be that good....

It'd be interesting to see what you decide & how you get on.

With more & more old Lambrettas & articles being unearthed, it is becoming clear that owners were keen to change their scooters by way of tuning/painting & that would occasionally include the engine block.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby lammydave » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:41 pm

[quote="Warkton Tornado No.1"]I sympathise with you, wurzel, but can't help thinking it's a good thing Aladdin never took that attitude .... :roll:

some of us are more used to a bit of rubbing, WTN1 :o
lammydave

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:56 pm

lammydave wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:I sympathise with you, wurzel, but can't help thinking it's a good thing Aladdin never took that attitude .... :roll:

some of us are more used to a bit of rubbing, WTN1 :o

I know! I blame the menopause which must be an abbreviation for 'men on pause' No offence, but my honest experience!

(Can you tell that no amount of trying to fix it/"Please try HRT!" worked & I'm single)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 pm

You can clean and polish an engine casing to a mirror like finish if it has not been too badly scratched, but my god you need the patience of a saint to do it and some serious OCD to maintain it.
I clean my casings with my pressure washer and then into the dishwasher on 70 centigrade when the wife's out.
A coat of Nitric acid based etching primer followed by enamel gloss paint. (usually black)
Keeps its finish and is easy to clean.
Fast n Furious

Postby wurzel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Did the side casing last night and used that tried and trusted elbow grease, hot water
and mild detergent to get the 47 years of baked on crap off.Quick sciff off with wire wool
and cutting compound and it's come up quite well.
Trouble is I'll be drinking through a straw today cos I'll not be able to hold on to the bloody
glass.
Using the dishwasher was a cracking idea, trouble is in my house I am the dishwasher.
wurzel

Postby holty » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 pm

ive tried the dishwasher, it gets them clean, but tarnishes the metal and doesnt look good at all, aqua blasting is what you want, just saw my pal yesterday and he showed me the casing he had just had blasted plus his side case and mag flange, they all looked like new, there were a few casting marks on them but otherwise look like new, the aqua blasting does seal the surface to leave it very smooth and does not corrode as quickly as bare alluminium, i had my rotax conversion case done at the same place and that was seriously rough, but looked much better after blasting, and he also does repairs to threads and broken or damaged parts if you ask him, the company is called ajs aqua blasting in hull, chaimberlain road, he does a top job at a reasonable price, highly recomended by me.
holty

Postby TurboTrev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Had two engines vapour blasted in 2017 at FTC Motorcycles, Coxhoe, Co Durham. Great finish, good price and the owner, Mick, is a really nice bloke! http://www.aqua-vapour-blasting.co.uk/index.html

TurboTrev

Postby St George » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Today I took my 650 BSA Thunderbolt massive engine cases to a guy on Canvey Island. He is going to vapour blast the whole lot inside and out £30. I have used him in the past for other bits and sandblasting,very good.
St George

Postby corrado » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:03 am

I've had a few cases vapour blasted at a place near Preston. The Italian ones came out great but the Indian ones came out like a 17 year old with a bad case of acne. He said there are too many impurities in the Indian alloy.
corrado

Postby Swat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:08 am

When I recommisioned my S type in 2010 I had my engine castings vapour blasted & resin sealed through AF Rayspeed - I recall it added £100 to the bill - one of the best 100 quid I've spent on a lammy. Crud doesnt stick as readily & what does accumulate washes off pretty readily with the application of Gunk & a scrub with a nylon brush.
Swat

Postby wurzel » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Cheers TurboTrev, as luck would have it I've just been sent a job in Bishop so I'm going to
drop the casings in on the way past tomorrow.
Cheers for all the suggestions folks.

Regards Mark
wurzel

Postby TurboTrev » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:27 pm

wurzel wrote:Cheers TurboTrev, as luck would have it I've just been sent a job in Bishop so I'm going to
drop the casings in on the way past tomorrow.
Cheers for all the suggestions folks. Regards Mark

Give him a ring first Mark to arrange the drop off as he's not always there. Cheers. Trev.
TurboTrev

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Anyone know what actual acid is used for the cleaning brightening of a case? Back in the day we used to use brick cleaner which contained quite a high percentage of hydrofluoric acid, it would clean ally but leave a horrible white dull powdered finish, also good for stripping galv off steel.
Scooterdude

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 am

No unfortunately. In my experience all acids and alkali's have that dulling affect on Lammy ally.
Fast n Furious

Postby Scooterdude » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:32 am

There’s another one who can’t sleep haha.
Scooterdude

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3