LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 Kickstart

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 3 Kickstart

Postby Hammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with a series 3 kickstart. Despite having a new (Tino) kickstart shaft and plunger it still occasionally feels like it skates across the first gear starter ring without engaging. The gearbox is from a li 150 and to me looks in good nick. Any ideas??
Hammer

Re: Series 3 Kickstart

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm

I think most Lambretta's are prone to that. Mine does it occassionally. I just dab the kickstart until I get a bite. Although, you might be able to minimise it by properly adjusting the kickstart ramp so that the piston engages a little earlier.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Hammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Ok thanks I thought that that might be the case. The ramp is spot on John at JB tuning sorted that for me so guess its just something I will have to live with. As someone once said to me if you want it spot on go buy a Yamaha LOL.
Hammer

Postby HxPaul » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Make sure that the piston is releasing from the shaft far enough for the teeth to make contact with the first gear.
HxPaul

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:19 pm

The type of ramp makes a lot of difference in my experience. I don't care for the enclosed ramp as used on the LI - SX. I prefer the earlier open ramp which has a steeper slope on it and allows the piston to engage sooner.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby camel » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:30 pm

What about elongating the slot the referance pin sits in from the plunger...this will alow the plunger to reach the gear more easily...ive a friends bike that has the same issue and thats what i was going to do for him...id mill it but if your patient with a dremell i cant see why this wont work
camel

Postby Hammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Actually that makes a lot of sense, elongating the slot even by a small amount might help the teeth engage more reliably. Are you aware of anyone doing this before?
Hammer

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3