LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Best electrics

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Best electrics

Postby Marty ULC » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Starting from scratch what's the best setup for reliable useful electrics?
I want to ditch everything on my curry burner and start again, need easy starting ignition that's least likely to give up, loud horn, bright lights with an extra spot and phone charger. Everything that will plug together and just work as it should cdi, stator, rectifier, switches, loom etc.

What should I buy, where from and how much?
Marty ULC

Re: Best electrics

Postby Feersum Injun » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 pm

I got a SIL stator/short fin flywheel from Scooter Restorations. A mate converted the stator to DC for me and I changed the LT coil to a BGM type. I then used an under panel tool box to create this set-up...

ImageIMG_7136 by Nick Wilde, on Flickr

It's all self contained so 3 bolts and it's off if you need to change a well etc. And has a bit of space left left for tools...
The live feed connects to the small fuse box (from Halfords I think). You can then take feed off this to the lighting loom, usb charger, horn etc
The small white connector at the front is for trickle feed charger for the battery...
I use both Ducati and BGM CDI's, neither have failed...

Works for me on my Indian GP!
Feersum Injun

Postby Feersum Injun » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:35 pm

The bananas are optional...!
Feersum Injun

Postby Meds » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Go Wassell Dc with a decent small bike battery (you don’t need above 4ah as you aren’t using it for starting, crap battery’s loose charge)
Quality LED rear lamp or full LED set up on the rear light, this allows most of the power to the head light. Watch the colour of the LED lamp ( the really bright ones are more blue than white) as you could end up with a purple tail light.
By far the most important thing is good clean quality electrical connections.
Wherever I can, the round bullet connectors are replaced with spade connectors or at best cleaned up to a bright copper (using a fibre pencil)
Dont use the frame as the earth, run an extra earths. ( I use the mudguard bolt as a star point and fix all the earths to that ensuring good quality return path)
Check the resistance of all the switches and make sure they are good.
As for what’s the best system I have an MB and a repaired Indian stator with AF flywheel, both work well for me, with an MB coil.
I have used an original loom and a new one, as long as the loom is in good condition and the copper isn’t rotten ( going black and brittle) it will be fine.
You can fit a Boat cigarette type socket (waterproof) to the battery via a fuse, then use a usb adaptor in the fag lighter socket.
Meds

Postby Feersum Injun » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes, I use a Wassel type rectifier as well. I run a motorcycle type usb charger taken directly off the fuse box that is fixed inside the leg shields. It could do with an in-line switch though as they usually come with LED light under the rubber cap that stays on and will drain the battery!!!
Feersum Injun

Postby MickYork » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm now running FULL dc. Wasell rectifier and battery for my lights and my ignition is from an external pick up and dc cdi, powered from the battery. No LT coil or stator pick up required. I use a mid-weight AF flywheel with a BGM stator. The stator is now used for powering the battery and lights, no ignition involved on the stator
MickYork

Postby grandpa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Marty
The wassell route is well worth considering. It will give you good lights without dimming when you brake and the horn (dc horn) will sound like a horn.My scoots have indicators,day time running lights and alarm. I use a 5amp hour motorcycle battery .If you don't have a battery tray have a look at this:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2322&p=17906&hilit=bolt+on+battery+tray#p17906
https://www.flickr.com/gp/156795374@N05/81TW2y
Grandpa
grandpa

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3