LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Cracked engine mount lug!

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Cracked engine mount lug!

Postby al pushpak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi, just wondered if anyone has had a Lambretta engine mount lug repaired successfully using alloy welding? I managed to crack the top of mind today :( (flywheel side) while trying to fit some new mounts, I was using the proper tool & loads of heat ( managed to burn one of my fingers in the process :oops: !) the mount was about home when I heard a crack which I thought was the mount seating & then looked & saw the crack on the top of the lug! :( just wanted to hear other people's experiences thanks in advance ;)
al pushpak

Re: Cracked engine mount lug!

Postby roli150lam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Got a photo?.
Not easy to weld ally or alloy,so making ths right choice of welder is important.
I have in my younger days been a coded welder(asme 1x6g) welding pipework fabrications for nuclear power stations.
And have some little experience of welding aluminium.However that was all a long time ago.
I would not offer myself to do it now,or then for that matter.
Experience and practice is paramount when welding ally.
So my advice is pick the guy who that can show you results of their work.
roli150lam

Postby terryj » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:33 pm

had mine done a few years back still going strong went through a local scooter dealer they are the people who know who to trust
terryj

Postby Knowledge » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 pm

I must admit, I would walk away from a casing with a welded lug, but last year I had to borrow a scooter for the run to Italy. After the rally, and a few others, I though I would re-pay the kindness of the owner by dropping the engine out and fitting some new components in the engine.

When the engine was out, I noticed the lug on the flywheel side had been welded on after a previous break.

I think the weld had passed the test. It can be done.
Knowledge

Postby Jim Rose » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 am

I did the same thing a few years ago, just as the engine mount went home there was a bloody awful crack followed by a lot of swearing.

I had it repaired/welded by Chris Sadd at CS Engineering and I've done a lot of miles on that engine since. As Knowledge says people are not keen on repaired casings like this but if you want to just use it yourself then a good ali welder will be able to sort it for you.
Jim Rose

Postby Tractorman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 am

roli150lam wrote:Got a photo?.
Not easy to weld ally or alloy,so making ths right choice of welder is important.
I have in my younger days been a coded welder(asme 1x6g) welding pipework fabrications for nuclear power stations.
And have some little experience of welding aluminium.However that was all a long time ago.
I would not offer myself to do it now,or then for that matter.
Experience and practice is paramount when welding ally.
So my advice is pick the guy who that can show you results of their work.

Good advise, Roli. Even with conventional welding it is surprising how you get out of practice.
Tractorman

Postby roli150lam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:30 am

Yes, it is David.
roli150lam

Postby Stu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Chris Sadd in Norwich will do it. Send me an email address and I'll send some before and after pics.
Last edited by Stu on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu

Postby TS1-200 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:40 pm

I have a welded lug on a GP200 case its been on the road for about 8yrs. with no problems, trouble is, although done well you can see the weld, just wondering if it could be smoothed off a bit, I`m worried that it would weaken it, is there anyway of getting it X rayed to check it out
TS1-200

Postby terryj » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 pm

TS1-200 wrote:I have a welded lug on a GP200 case its been on the road for about 8yrs. with no problems, trouble is, although done well you can see the weld, just wondering if it could be smoothed off a bit, I`m worried that it would weaken it, is there anyway of getting it X rayed to check it out

when i worked in quality in an aluminium foundry we used to xray casting to check them so it can be done just need to find a friendly aluminium foundry
or these
http://www.euroteck.co.uk/xray_inspection.html
no idea of cost though and you may find the welding is ok but the rest of the casting is frightening
terryj

Postby holty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:35 pm

i can recommend tony from ajs aqua blasting in hull, his repair work is of a very high standard, on the subject of mountings i asked a well known tuner how he fits them and he told me uses heat only, not a puller, if it wont go in keep heating it up, when expanded with enough heat it will fall in, and tighten upon cooling, no force required, a little late when its cracked, maybe the mount was too big or mis-shaped, may be worth checking when repaired, what case is it by the way, it maybe cheaper to buy another if its a smallblock ?
holty

Postby al pushpak » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi, it's a 200 block so I really want to get it repaired if possible, I've left it with my local scooter dealer & hopefully he can sort it ;) cheers
al pushpak

Postby skinnerwill » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:01 pm

i too would recomend tony at ajs he did a yamaha mount for me, nigh on invisible
skinnerwill

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3