LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Frank Sanderson front end with SIP rims

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Frank Sanderson front end with SIP rims

Postby La chevre » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi

Have A Frank Sanderson PM tuning front end with Volante spinner,think.I would like to fit SIP tubeless rims however understand longer bolts are required. Has anyone fitted the sip to the PM set up and if so what bolts and nuts did you use?

Thanks

La Chevre.
La chevre

Re: Frank Sanderson front end with SIP rims

Postby Digger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Yes and I used the longer studs that were supplied with the SIP rims.
Digger

Postby La chevre » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi Digger

So SIP supply longer bolts than the standard ones for their rims.Is that right?
La chevre

Postby bike grim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm

I’ve got a pm tuning single disc on their pepper pot style wheel/spinner with SIP rims. It uses normal high tensile m8 bolts rather than the lambretta type wheel stud. I just used longer cap head bolts (came with the brake kit) with the SIP nuts/ and nord lock washers

zoom in..

ImageUntitled by gareth, on Flickr
bike grim

Postby La chevre » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks for the advice very helpful i ve contacted SIP also now.
La chevre

Postby corrado » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 am

Hmmm, I wonder if it's possible to just remove the PM bolt and get drill it out to accept a left hand [M10 x 1 I think] tap and fit the Sip studs. Probably missing something obvious and it'll depend on the thickness of the PM hub as the thread may protrude too far.
corrado

Postby corrado » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:46 am

bike grim wrote:I’ve got a pm tuning single disc on their pepper pot style wheel/spinner with SIP rims. It uses normal high tensile m8 bolts rather than the lambretta type wheel stud. I just used longer cap head bolts (came with the brake kit) with the SIP nuts/ and nord lock washers

On PM's site it mentions using a 33mm bolt which is none standard and PM's advice was to just use longer bolts if you had an old brake kit, but you can't buy 33mm bolts [and PM didn't offer to sell them]. Is the simple answer to cut down some 35mm bolts?

Have PM changed the design of the single as disc as I seem to recall that on the single disc the caliper fouled on the Sip rim and I seem to recall that you could reverse the hub so that the caliper was on the nearside, but it make the speedo go in reverse. The twin had a smaller disc so the calipers clear on that kit. Bearing in mind that my kits are at least 5 years old.
corrado

Postby Digger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:10 am

Martin

It has changed - I bought a pair of their remade Spanish forks pre-fitted with the brackets for the PM disc you sold me for the racer. They had the anti dive bracket on the opposite fork leg. I rang them and got them changed with no problems. They reckoned they altered the design to avoid fouling issues but I've never had a problem.
Digger

Postby gizmo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm

I have the single disc anti dive which I bought a fair while back and havnt got around to fitting and the wheel is removed from the kick-start start which is different from the other PM discs I've used. The caliper is on left with anti dive bracket. Bolt wise I found some button head at Westfield fasteners
gizmo

Postby La chevre » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Digger are you saying that the calliper is now on the kickstart side of the scoot as that is how mine is orientated.
Think I’ll have to set up a spare sip rim on the bike . Just purchased 35 and 40 mm m8 pan heads so will see how It goes when I get a moment.
La chevre

Postby La chevre » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 pm

For those looking for the definitive answer Frank Sannderson responded to a earlier email. Fair play to him !

Hi Paul
running SIP rims needs adjustment making to your hub as the valve is on the same side as the calliper .This means that the hub needs to be reassembled with the calliper on the opposite side to the valve. You may need to obtain a calliper carrier for SIP rims or use your existing one but you will not see the rebated face .
basically a rebuild of your Hub is required .Also when the hub is reassembled it is slightly wider so needs to be checked for central in the forks . if using Scomadi links this may be possible . If you where ordering new for SIP rims the hub would be assembled as described .
Hope this helps
Ta Frank

Hi Paul
the calliper carrier is a PM part they should be available as a spare from Them .Dave Wilson from Retro Tech Racing who looks after the Scomadi Race team has just set one of these up for a customer .It may be an idea to call him as he has direct access to PM for parts .He could also set it up for you .
Unfortunately SIP rims did not exist when I designed the Hub system !
Ta Frank.
PS not in country at mo so cant help personaly .
La chevre

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3