LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 1 steering lock

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 1 steering lock

Postby La chevre » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Evening
Want to install a new steering lock to my series 1. Removed the screw inside the headset not sure how the rest of the barrel is removed ? Mustt be seasoned steering lock master out there who can give me a steer on this!

Thx
La chevre

Re: Series 1 steering lock

Postby MK Monty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 pm

This was covered a few months ago. With the screw out, and headset top off, you will see a small round aluminium disk that you can tap out with a small screwdriver. It’s just a dust cap and can be reused if you are carfull. Under the cap you should see the tail end of the lock that should simply push out the front. The tail of the lock is a cam that as it turns with the key pushes a small springloaded piston down to locate in the chrome ring if you have one. Many are broken as they won’t deter the low life of today. If you have the key you can normally just pull the lock out. But a screwdriver from the back will dislodge it.
MK Monty

Postby La chevre » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks for that it must be the dust cap that’s confusing me . Did look in sticky’s Manuel but not a lot in there relating to for a series 1 steering lock.
Appreciate the reply .
La chevre

Postby Raveydavey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:54 pm

My advice would be to leave it be. I tried and failed to get my lock out without damaging it. The screwdriver suggestion below pushed the lock centre out but left the rest In place. That should have a red flag...but I kept on going. :oops:
Raveydavey

Postby Raveydavey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Jem booth can cut you a key if you send him the number
Raveydavey

Postby La chevre » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks Ravey proceed with caution..
La chevre

Postby mainstand » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:52 am

MK Monty wrote:This was covered a few months ago. With the screw out, and headset top off, you will see a small round aluminium disk that you can tap out with a small screwdriver. It’s just a dust cap and can be reused if you are carfull. Under the cap you should see the tail end of the lock that should simply push out the front. The tail of the lock is a cam that as it turns with the key pushes a small springloaded piston down to locate in the chrome ring if you have one. Many are broken as they won’t deter the low life of today. If you have the key you can normally just pull the lock out. But a screwdriver from the back will dislodge it.

I'm struggling with this. I locked mine & couldn't get it unlocked. Ordered a new key from Jem Booth..great service btw...but it still wouldn't unlock.. I have got the dust cap off, put a small screwdriver at the back of the lock and tried to lever it forward (is this the right way to do it?)...and although with the key in it wiggles about it just will not move forward.
mainstand

Postby MK Monty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:42 am

You don’t say if when you turn the key can you see the cam flip over on the inside. The lock may well be turning but the piston is sticking down so you can not turn the bars. Get some lube down there. If you look at the casting inside the headset just in front of the round disc you should have a set screw of some type remove this as it locks the barrel of the lock into the headset. If that’s out then it’s only paint or corrosion holding it in.
MK Monty

Postby mainstand » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:58 am

MK Monty wrote:You don’t say if when you turn the key can you see the cam flip over on the inside. The lock may well be turning but the piston is sticking down so you can not turn the bars. Get some lube down there. If you look at the casting inside the headset just in front of the round disc you should have a set screw of some type remove this as it locks the barrel of the lock into the headset. If that’s out then it’s only paint or corrosion holding it in.

Nothing is flipping over, neither is the lock turning. It's on 'lock' permanently & will not shift, also there is no screw that I can see. It's a relatively new rebuild, so no corrosion.

When I removed the dust cover all I can see is the top of the lock past the screw on display in the pic. I can't see any screw as I said. It is a Spanish S2 if that makes any difference.
mainstand

Postby HxPaul » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Have you removed the screw that goes into the hole in your photo,this screw fastens the lock into the headset,once removed the lock should be removed (created once the blanking plug is removed)with a small screwdriver.
HxPaul

Postby mainstand » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:13 pm

I said I can't see any screw mate, might have another look later...or go specsavers. :lol:
mainstand

Postby mainstand » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Well I can't see any screw. As I said, this is a Spanish S2.

mainstand

Postby MK Monty » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Ok you had me with the original thread being a series 1. Agreed your series 2 Spanish doesn't seem to have a screw unless its hiding under the brown wire or further back under the kill switch. Does your lock have the flip up cover as shown in the picture or is it just round. I'm wondering if the screw is up from under but I don't know the Spanish ones. On another tack when you turn the key does the barrel of the lock turn at all. Your picture shows the cam with the flat showing up so the semi circle is down pushing the spring loaded piston down cocking the headset. It should turn half a turn so the piston can rise 3 or 4 mm onto the flat bit. If it turns but the piston sticks down its still locked. loads of WD or the like may help. other than that try and snap the flat bit off and fish out the piston. Bit drastic but better than simply snatching the headset round breaking the headset or chrome ring etc. At least you can use the bike
MK Monty

Postby mainstand » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:16 pm

I spoke to the fella who did the build and sold me the scoot, but he can't remember. I really don't want to faff about taking the whole bottom headset off, neither do I want to get the drills out. It is the type with a flap on the lock. I can't turn the key so the barrel of the lock doesn't move. I've launched loads of WD40 down there, I've had thin files behind it trying to lever it forward...it simply won't budge anyway you need it to.
mainstand

Postby HxPaul » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:38 pm

mainstand wrote:Well I can't see any screw. As I said, this is a Spanish S2.

If you remove the cut-out switch,is the grub screw under there.
http://www.newtoyouhomes.com/jbsitefold ... inhole.jpg
HxPaul

Postby mainstand » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Cheers Pal. I've have a butchers in the week.
mainstand

Postby mainstand » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:52 pm

All done. Cheers HX Paul.
mainstand

Postby MK Monty » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:03 pm

We can only lead you to water :mrgreen:
MK Monty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3