LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SIP display failure

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

SIP display failure

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Fixed all my issues with power to Intelliconverter, but this SIP speedo has a definite fault, it just switches off its display in use, the backlight stays on so I know it's getting power. I can induce the switch off at idle by using the horn at low revs but it comes back to life when horn is switched off.

When it fails during riding, the backlight is on, so it's got power. The only way to make display come back is to switch off engine and restart it, speedo comes back to life, almost like doing a reset.

It must be faulty, anyone else had this?
Paul_from_Thornbury

Re: SIP display failure

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 am

Electrickery! It's the work of the devil. :o
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 am

I take it that you have limited electrical measuring gear?
Try narrowing the problem down.
Suggest you temporarily connect the supply to the SIP clock from a known good battery source. ( a 9v pp3 battery will work just fine ) No charging system or fancy regulators attached.
If the problem continues, then it's the clock or its wiring. If the problem goes away....... Its your electrical charging / regulating that needs sorting.
Fast n Furious

Postby Tractorman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 am

Fast n Furious wrote:I take it that you have limited electrical measuring gear?
Suggest you temporarily connect the supply to the SIP clock from a known good battery source. ( a 9v pp3 battery will work just fine ) No charging system or fancy regulators attached.
If the problem continues, then it's the clock or its wiring. If the problem goes away....... Its your electrical charging / regulating that needs sorting.

Just wondering, if s SIP speedo needs 12 volt and when a system drops much below that figure the speedo stops working why does a 9 volt battery work it?
Tractorman

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 am

Confirmation from one of the guys on our club forum who does lots of SIP installs that he has seen this and it is a fault in the speedo unit. Contacted retailer and replacement on way.
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:25 am

Tractorman wrote:
Fast n Furious wrote:I take it that you have limited electrical measuring gear?

Just wondering, if s SIP speedo needs 12 volt and when a system drops much below that figure the speedo stops working why does a 9 volt battery work it?

Mine works just fine from a 9 volt source.
Fast n Furious

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:23 am

Got a replacement speedo from the dealer, fitted yesterday.

This one cycles through the screens at low revs, at higher power it will stay on a single page, but at tick over it cycles through the different screens. Is this likely to be power related?
As stated its running off an intelliconverter so should have a constant DC source.
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm

I'm the F'ing idiot...the control button cable was being pinched by the right hand headset bolt...
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 am

Doh! ;)
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3