LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Casa Anti Dive: bracket way too big?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Casa Anti Dive: bracket way too big?

Postby Raveydavey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:22 pm

I've taken delivery of a very nice and shiny Casa single disk with Anti dive. As the title says the bracket, which clamps around the fork is far too big. About .5 of a mm all the way round. These are series 1 forks (framebreather). Rimini's guide suggests that to make it tight on smaller forks the clamp should be linished. However that will make the clamp thinner. IN other words it will change the roundness (is that a word?). So when clamped to the fork instead of spreading the load evenly around the fork leg, it will be focused on the sides, where the bracket has been made thinner (hope that makes sense)?

It would seem a better solution to put in some kind of cylindrical spacer; which wraps around the forks which makes them fatter. Has anyone else hit this problem?
Raveydavey

Re: Casa Anti Dive: bracket way too big?

Postby Lockman69 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:13 pm

I had a similar problem with ScootRS anti dive a Scooter Innovations Stainless forks...I cut some rubber matting and wrapped it around the forks and clamped over it...been that way for years with no issues..
Lockman69

Postby La chevre » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes ,I had a similar problem. I didn't notice this initially until the anti dive unit turned into my wheel,fortunately when i had been removing the scoot from my vehicle after a dyno. Think the scoot moved whilst in transport and the anti-dive was pushed,dislodged into the wheel. I Took the clamp off the forks and did what Rimini advised,reading the notes carefully this time,their notes are very thorough and worth following! I simply and carefully ran the clamp both sides over the dremmel disc keeping the surfaces flat. I Didnt take much off but it was enough for the clamp to grip firmly on re torqueing also using thread lock, as Rimini advise.

I now also carry a 3mm packer in my pocket to test clearance between wheel and anti dive after a heavy bump or just intermittently to check the anti dive isn't turning into the wheel after use(3mm is the clearance i have this may differ).I am surprised there isn't some form of locking device on the clamp and fork to prevent this in the event of the clamp becoming loose.

Had a similar problem with the hydraulic handle bar unit this also wouldn't clamp tight on the handle bar.Twisting the throttle on the way to Warmwell i thought i had petrol starvation however then noticed, after a bit, that the whole handle bar arrangement was moving. I had to tape the hydraulic light switch arrangement as a temporary measure to the headset! Linnishing the clamp again in the same way,only fractionally almost just removing the powder coating resolved this problem and allowed the cap head bolts to tighten on the clamp/handle bar,no problems since.

So linnish is the way to go as Rimini advise in my experience, remember the clamp has flat sides this is what you are fettling not the inner circumference of the fork clamp.

Remember if its shiny and cost a lot of money that still dont mean it fits!

Hope this helps.

Bonne chance La Chevre
La chevre

Postby Raveydavey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Lockman69 wrote:I had a similar problem with ScootRS anti dive a Scooter Innovations Stainless forks...I cut some rubber matting and wrapped it around the forks and clamped over it...been that way for years with no issues..

That's a great idea and it's tested: Brilliant! Thanks :D
Raveydavey

Postby Raveydavey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks for the response La Chevre. Did you try the rubber packer? Seems a better solution than taking metal off; thus making the clamp area elliptical rather than perfectly circular. I'm all over fettling but I like imaginative solutions better. :-)
Raveydavey

Postby La chevre » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:52 pm

No, i followed Rimini's advice as its a engineered resolution in my opinion and its not a lengthy process if you haven't already fitted the wheel. Additionally Id be suspicious of the rubber perishing, delaminating i don't think any interface between the two metal surfaces (fork and anti dive clamp) would be a good thing however it seems to have worked for the previous so its down to personal preference on that one.

Best LC :D
La chevre

Postby La chevre » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Also note its the flat surfaces of the bracket that reduce when linnishing the clamp and therefore making the fork clamping area/opening reduced. Not sure of the detail but the fork opening isn't or i cant remember it being a perfect circumference of the fork that's why the linnishing works, well it did on mine anyway.
L.C
La chevre

Postby berniek » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:21 am

[quote="Raveydavey"]However that will make the clamp thinner. IN other words it will change the roundness (is that a word?). So when clamped to the fork instead of spreading the load evenly around the fork leg, it will be focused on the sides, where the bracket has been made thinner (hope that makes sense)?

I've fitted two to GP forks and both were perfect, not sure if your forks are a slightly smaller diameter. You are however reading the instructions wrong, it is the flat surfaces that you linish, bit the round surface. Linishing the flat will allow the clamp to close more to grip around your fork leg. If you think about it linishing the round surfaces would make your problem worse.

Personally i would not look to shim with any type of compressible material. Good Luck.
berniek

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3