LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SIP Tyer exploded

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

SIP Tyer exploded

Postby Watfordwhite » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 pm

So out on the run today, all went well on the way home opened her up. Then got stuck in traffic. Just started to pull away and the rear Tyer exploded. I don't mean when down, just exploded. Is this usual I though the idea of tubless was safer?
If it had happened 2 minuets earlier I would of been doing 60mhp. God knows what would of happened then. :shock:
Any body else had this, or was I just unlucky?
Watfordwhite

Re: SIP Tyer exploded

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:28 am

What pressure were you running the rear tyre at?
Fast n Furious

Postby coaster » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 am

When you say 'exploded' :shock: what do you mean exactly? any pictures?
coaster

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am

coaster wrote:When you say 'exploded' :shock: what do you mean exactly? any pictures?

Did it pop the rim or through the rubber itself?
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Watfordwhite » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Just the Tyer, I don't think any damage to the rim. 28psi, checked that morning.
Still waiting to collect the bike back from a random household who kindly let me store it in there garage. Collect tomorrow so I can have a good look then.
Watfordwhite

Postby Raveydavey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Glad to hear you're safe n sound. Tyres shouldn't just explode. You can still get blow outs with tubeless.

What make was it? Please don't say Dunlop scootsmarts
Raveydavey

Postby roli150lam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Has the tyre been kerbed potholed,damaged in anyway.However slight,damage of any kind may lead to major failure.
roli150lam

Postby coaster » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Raveydavey wrote:..................What make was it? Please don't say Dunlop scootsmarts

The clue is in the title of the post...SIP ;)

I run Scootsmarts as well, hi load rating for the rear and lower rating on the front.
coaster

Postby Raveydavey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 pm

coaster wrote:
Raveydavey wrote:..................What make was it? Please don't say Dunlop scootsmarts

The clue is in the title of the post...SIP ;)

I run Scootsmarts as well, hi load rating for the rear and lower rating on the front.

Oh yeah :oops:
Do we know who makes those?
Raveydavey

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 am

roli150lam wrote:Has the tyre been kerbed potholed,damaged in anyway.However slight,damage of any kind may lead to major failure.

And if the roads in your town are anything like the ones in mine today, then this very likely the leading cause. :evil: The detonator here would be the increase in pressure from the hot tyre, which had recently been running at pace!
I had one on mine a few years ago that had started to bulge on the side wall. I put it down to either pothole damage or possibly over-stressing it when it was fitted. Not sure really. It was the first tubeless Lammy fitting attempt for me and admittedly, I used tyre levers and it was like wrestling with an octopus. Since then though, I perfected my fitting technique so no tools are actually used when fitting the tyre ( Heat and lots and lots of soap). There can be no compromises when it comes to tyre fitting onto these tubeless rims.
Fast n Furious

Postby HxPaul » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:52 am

Fast n Furious wrote:
roli150lam wrote:Has the tyre been kerbed potholed,damaged in anyway.However slight,damage of any kind may lead to major failure.

And if the roads in your town are anything like the ones in mine today, then this very likely the leading cause. :evil: The detonator here would be the increase in pressure from the hot tyre, which had recently been running at pace!
I had one on mine a few years ago that had started to bulge on the side wall. I put it down to either pothole damage or possibly over-stressing it when it was fitted. Not sure really. It was the first tubeless Lammy fitting attempt for me and admittedly, I used tyre levers and it was like wrestling with an octopus. Since then though, I perfected my fitting technique so no tools are actually used when fitting the tyre ( Heat and lots and lots of soap). There can be no compromises when it comes to tyre fitting onto these tubeless rims.

Schwalbe tyres used to have a bad rep. for bulging.
HxPaul

Postby Watfordwhite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159784439 ... res/J3zv19

No idea how that happened. Tyre ripped from the center out. Must of hit something really sharp.
Watfordwhite

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm relieved to know that you are alright, Martin :D

Presumably the tyre that failed was one of the pair that proved troublesome in maintaining air pressure. Not that I think that would be anything to do with the resultant failure.

Considering that SIP rims are a great product, particularly as they use the hub to centralise as per OEM, it would seem a natural presumption that their tyres would be as good.

In fact, IMHO, they are not great to ride & I must admit to feeling dubious about the profile when I saw them in the flesh, fitted to your scooter.

That may hardly be relevant, but they appear to offer a much greater contact area than the norm as the crown radius seems huge compared to, say, a Michelin S1.

Could it be that they can overheat as the consequence?

Whatever, I urge you to pursue this with SIP directly as with all safety issues. If they are genuinely concerned, they will no doubt offer to pay P&P for the return of the damaged tyre to enable their appraisal. You might be wise to return the pair.

Next time, somebody else may not be so lucky as you were.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Watfordwhite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks Mark,

Yes it was the same tyre with the slow puncture that went. I put it on the rear to be safe. Best laid plans and all that.. New tyre's ordered and on the way. Not SIP. TBH I was never overly found of them anyway. But it was a very lucky escape.
Watfordwhite

Postby Watfordwhite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:59 pm

I was gong to say no, but now i thing about it. There was a large pothole in Hemel that I went over on the way home. (saw it too late) Must of done a lot more damage than I thought.
Watfordwhite

Postby roli150lam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Having read the previous two posts,re slow puncture.I'd venture to suggest this was the cause of your tyre exploding.
Any tyre damage needs to be repaired immediately,riding with damaged tyres is not good practice.If the casing is not repairable it's best to scrap it or only use for low speed riding.
roli150lam

Postby Watfordwhite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Roli,
my good friend owns and runs a tyre fitting company. He had previously taken the tyre completely off the SIP rim to check and put it back on to find the cause of the slow puncture. This was about 3-4 weeks ago. He found nothing wrong. However this did not stop the slow puncture either. The tyre never completely deflated but lost about 10 PSI over the cause of 7 days. I'm not convinced this is the reason for the explosion. Take a look at the photo. It has split around the tread pattern and even under it to expose the layer under the rubber. There doesn't seem to be any entry wound! Once my new tyre's arrive (Yes Mark, I am changing them all now.) he will take the old tyre off and refit the new ones. From there he may have a better idea on what caused this issue.
Watfordwhite

Postby Covboy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Could a leaking valve be the root cause of the pressure loss? I always put a bit of spit on my valves after inflating to check if any air is leaking...
Covboy

Postby roli150lam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Similar thing happened to one of our riders last year.Not the explosion bit,a sizeable lump of tread came off his tyre.I can't remember what tyres he had on tho.
roli150lam

Postby NorthernJordan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:I'm relieved to know that you are alright, Martin :D

Presumably the tyre that failed was one of the pair that proved troublesome in maintaining air pressure. Not that I think that would be anything to do with the resultant failure.

Considering that SIP rims are a great product, particularly as they use the hub to centralise as per OEM, it would seem a natural presumption that their tyres would be as good.

In fact, IMHO, they are not great to ride & I must admit to feeling dubious about the profile when I saw them in the flesh, fitted to your scooter.

That may hardly be relevant, but they appear to offer a much greater contact area than the norm as the crown radius seems huge compared to, say, a Michelin S1.

Could it be that they can overheat as the consequence?

Whatever, I urge you to pursue this with SIP directly as with all safety issues. If they are genuinely concerned, they will no doubt offer to pay P&P for the return of the damaged tyre to enable their appraisal. You might be wise to return the pair.

Next time, somebody else may not be so lucky as you were.....

I found the same regarding the profile.

I think they are of Indian origin, and Vee Rubber as a manufacturer springs to mind. Id have to have a look to jog my mind...

Reading the thread I'd be inclined to blame a slow puncture should it have suffered from one. Was is tested in a water bath to see where it was leaking from?

Punctures can damage the construction of the tyre wall. When I worked at BMW it was their policy not to repair tyres based on this. That's not to say that they can't/shouldn't be repaired, but a repair is no longer as sound as a new tyre.
NorthernJordan

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3