LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Painting stripes on GP panels?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Painting stripes on GP panels?

Postby davla » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:30 am

I’ve got to get my oche yellow side panels re-painted and was vaguely thinking about getting the stripes painted on, has anyone done this? Any pics of it done?
davla

Re: Painting stripes on GP panels?

Postby Knowledge » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:17 pm

I haven't had the stripes painted on, but I did some research on stripes last year and learnt something interesting from people who had original GP stripes on their original paint Innocenti panels.

I got some stripes from a recommended supplier and they were 60mm wide. I had some old stripes on their backing paper in the workshop, and they were 55mm, so I asked on the forum for someone to measure the width of their stripes. It came back with a measurement between 55mm and 60mm. I contacted my supplier and asked for some 55mm stripes instead, which he kindly supplied FOC.

I started to apply the 55mm stripes behind the grill, but things weren't looking right. I realised something was wrong and I asked Storkfoot to measure his original panels, which was 60mm in front of the grill, and 55mm behind the grill. So I applied the 60mm stripe in front of the grill and the 55mm behind. It looks right.

I now wonder if the panel stripes actually tapers from 60mm at the front of the panel, to 55mm at the rear, but I am a bit fed-up of asking people to measure their stripes for me (though probably not as mush as they are fed up of me asking).

Over to you.
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Knowledge wrote:I haven't had the stripes painted on, but I did some research on stripes last year and learnt something interesting from people who had original GP stripes on their original paint Innocenti panels.

I got some stripes from a recommended supplier and they were 60mm wide. I had some old stripes on their backing paper in the workshop, and they were 55mm, so I asked on the forum for someone to measure the width of their stripes. It came back with a measurement between 55mm and 60mm. I contacted my supplier and asked for some 55mm stripes instead, which he kindly supplied FOC.

I started to apply the 55mm stripes behind the grill, but things weren't looking right. I realised something was wrong and I asked Storkfoot to measure his original panels, which was 60mm in front of the grill, and 55mm behind the grill. So I applied the 60mm stripe in front of the grill and the 55mm behind. It looks right.

I now wonder if the panel stripes actually tapers from 60mm at the front of the panel, to 55mm at the rear, but I am a bit fed-up of asking people to measure their stripes for me (though probably not as mush as they are fed up of me asking).

Over to you.

Martin, from memory, no (they are back in the loft now). They don’t taper. The front part is the same width its entire length and the longer stretch behind the grill is the same.
Storkfoot

Postby HxPaul » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Do the grills taper 60mm to 55mm front to back.
HxPaul

Postby Knowledge » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi HX Paul,

No. The grills don’t taper.

Paul (Storkfoot),

Yeah, I had to put this out there, just in case the stripes did taper. On my last thread on such matters, I got so many different measurements, and I did wonder later if people were are measuring identical stripes, but at different locations along length of the stripe. It would be one explanation for the different measurements.

Perhaps it is a simple as accepting that there are lots of different sizes of stripes.

This question maybe unanswered unit your next visit to the loft. ;)

Martin
Knowledge

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3