LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Lambretta steering bearings -"loose or caged ?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Lambretta steering bearings -"loose or caged ?

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue May 17, 2022 2:26 am

who is the supplier of your tapered roller set up?
Fast n Furious

Postby AL BARKER » Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 am

Really interested in the tapered top bearing set-up... I've ordered the SKF 32006 to see if I can figure out how it will fit... I realise that more machined parts will be needed.... any advice F+F....
AL BARKER

Postby hullygully » Tue May 17, 2022 11:33 am

koyo £9.50 free shipping
timken £10.35 free shipping
challenge £3.99 free shipping (all on evil bay)
look on bearing finder, then type in 32006
Al, buy the bearing & I'll draw all the bitz up for you that need machining/manufacturing bud 8-) cos your GP's doin my head in too :evil:
hullygully

Postby AL BARKER » Tue May 17, 2022 11:58 am

Ordered it through work hullygully..... when you back... it's doing my head in as well..
AL BARKER

Postby hullygully » Tue May 17, 2022 4:27 pm

back now Al, suntans starting to fade :(
hullygully

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed May 18, 2022 1:03 am

AL BARKER wrote:Really interested in the tapered top bearing set-up... I've ordered the SKF 32006 to see if I can figure out how it will fit... I realise that more machined parts will be needed.... any advice F+F....

I need to clarify here.
I used a 32006 for my lower steering bearing conversion on my TS1. The forks are not Lambretta. They are custom made.
The machined bearing boss at the bottom of a lammy steering columb is nominally 36mm Dia. A 32908 bearing has an internal ID of 40mm. This is the bearing used in the SIP conversion kit. It has the advantage in that it will pass over the steering stop tag that is welded onto the steering columb. I'm assuming that the kit must also include a 2mm thick split bush to take up the slack between the inner bearing race (40mm) and the boss it mounts onto (36mm)? TBH the details available on this product are a bit thin and the kit still retains a ball thrust race bearing at the top.
The new SIP bearing carrier that sits into the bottom of the steering tube has an external dia of 66mm (the exposed part) which I think is only a couple of mm larger than the old dust cover was, so it has no impact on anything close by it.
However, the bearing carrier for a 32006 would have an OD of 60mm which is too big for an upper bearing carrier. It would rub and deflect the control cables.
A better solution would be to use either a 30Y/48KS, 48KS/30K, or a 48Y130YM1 bearing. These are all 30mm x 48mm so the bearing carrier OD can be reduced down to 52mm. Any bigger than this, the bearing carrier will foul the steering lock pin casting on the lower headset. The above bearings are 12, 13 and 15mm thick which offers a bit of scope should you find you're running out of locking thread. You could resuse your old locking washer and locknut. You will need a second locknut tho. I think dust seals are available?
Ian Frankland used to do a neat upper bearing Taper roller conversion kit. Alas, no more it would appear. 4 years ago the top bearing carriers were available and not the bottom. Today the bottoms are availabale but not the top ones. :evil:
So, bearing carriers are commercially available for the bottom race (albeit as part of a complete kit of parts) but I think the top carrier is something you would have to get made to spec if you want taper roller here. Easy done with a lathe.
Fast n Furious

Postby AL BARKER » Wed May 18, 2022 9:29 am

F+F, as said earlier in the posts... the grooves in the remade bearing cups not deep enough for the bearings to fit correctly. I'm having real issues getting the forks set right..... all feels good by hand..until I fit headset and use the brake (anti-dive) when I can feel movement. I remember Ian's top tapered sets that he had made, I will try to figure out which bearings he used, from memory I think the bottom cup and possibly the top cup were bespoke..... also going to bin the anti-dive as I don't like the lack of feel....
AL BARKER

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:46 pm

I'm fairly sure that Ian used a 32906 bearing.
Fast n Furious

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:22 am

This fella sells the top version for chrome n non Chrome setups
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124935604749 ... media=COPY
ULC Soulagent

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:51 pm

Considering that a decent bearing and seal would probably cost near £25... Another £35 for a purpose made bearing adaptor, delivered to your door, seems like good value.
Fast n Furious

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:40 am

Fast n Furious wrote:Considering that a decent bearing and seal would probably cost near £25... Another £35 for a purpose made bearing adaptor, delivered to your door, seems like good value.

Yip, gonna have a punt on one for the endurance racing scoot I’m currently working on 8-)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:41 pm

Don't be too surprised if you need to do a little minor fettling around the the steering lock pin casting. Some you do and some you don't.
Fast n Furious

Postby gp200ts1 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:04 pm

Definitely a 32906 bearing for the top. Done a few now with a series 2 to be done in the next few weeks. Some need the steering lock housing to be relieved but as stated it doesn’t affect the operation.
gp200ts1

Postby Mel K » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:56 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:This fella sells the top version for chrome n non Chrome setups

Hi , has anyone bought this set up and fitted into a series 2 ? Does it fit ok or can it be made to fit with a bit of fettling?
I’ve bought a set but just trying to gauge whether it works and is worth the effort before dismantling my front end . Thanks
Mel K

Postby gp200ts1 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:18 pm

Mel K wrote:
ULC Soulagent wrote:This fella sells the top version for chrome n non Chrome setups

Hi , has anyone bought this set up and fitted into a series 2 ? Does it fit ok or can it be made to fit with a bit of fettling?
I’ve bought a set but just trying to gauge whether it works and is worth the effort before dismantling my front end . Thanks

I’m in the process of fitting one to a series 2. I took my chrome ring out and relieved the diameter by 2mm on the topside so the new bearing cup had a bit of clearance. It could have been done with a dremmel but it gave me a chance to keep my hand in on the lathe. It’s working off drawings that Ian Frankland gave to me years ago. I’ll report back when done.
gp200ts1

Postby Mel K » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:20 am

Thank you gp200ts1, your input is very much appreciated, I do have access to a very nice man with a lathe so all good on that front .
Mel K

Postby Mel K » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:49 pm

I’ve
Fitted
This over the weekend and in a series 2 it fitted with no issues and no fettling
Did have to disconnect all cables and wiring loom to get the chrome ring off the scooter which obviously has to be the case but well worth the effort for the upgrade from the ancient push bike design of the original set up .
Mel K

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3