LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Strange Conk Out & Restart

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Strange Conk Out & Restart

Postby Granty » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Guys -- Wonder of anyone can give me a starter for 10, standard 200 lump, 25mm jetex and clubman on the series 3 -- coming back from Whitby yesterday 3/4 - full throttle and just slowing down for lights - coming down the gears and the engine just stops. Pull into the side, the engine is hot but been full bore on the throttle. Wait for 5 mins, give it a couple of pumps and she fires up. Compression ok, no sign of seize etc, all electrics working & everything where it should be, carried on at a reasonable lick for the last 100 miles or so no worries.

Thoughts anyone? -- Not much to work on but I guess I'm going to have to start somewhere? -- Cheers G
Granty

Re: Strange Conk Out & Restart

Postby MickYork » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:59 pm

air lock, muck in carb', air filter clogged, etc. if you did over a hundred miles afterwards i wouldn't be too concerned......issue might have cleared itself.
MickYork

Postby HxPaul » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm

You say that theres no sign of a seize,but it sounds like it nipped up to me.
HxPaul

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:09 pm

Sound like it was okay on the main jet until you came to rest and the pilot took over. Could be a blocked pilot jet maybe?
ToBoldlyGo

Postby dickie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm

HxPaul wrote:You say that theres no sign of a seize,but it sounds like it nipped up to me.

Have you inspected the piston and bore?
dickie

Postby Granty » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:34 pm

HxPaul wrote:You say that theres no sign of a seize,but it sounds like it nipped up to me.

Could have been and I've just got the timing perfect when pulling the clutch in -- in hindsight I might have shut the throttle of too quick from full bore to not very much in a blip.
Granty

Postby Granty » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:36 pm

dickie wrote:

Have you inspected the piston and bore?

Not yet -- looks like I'll need to get the head off it and have a look to see what's what in there -- been thinking I need to check the rings anyways TBH, this could be the time - G
Granty

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:13 am

Full throttle fuelling and cooling engine. Shut throttle off and no fuel to cool piston. Nip up.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Granty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Head Off Tonight - defo nipped up, no sign of air leak, gaskets look OK, Will need to clean carb, check jets and do all the usual checks -- interestingly I have a 26mm jetex on it and I changed the jetex atomizer for a dellorto one, it ran real rich on 3/4 throttle, I was happy with it as most of our miles are rally miles, got cute & changed for a dellorto, ran less lumpy but maybe's just too lean?

Defo need new rings as there's sign of blow through up the skirt of the piston, might get away with just a hone and new rings -- ah well any adventure -- G
Granty

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:27 pm

My reamed 22s run a Delllorto 5899-4 (Gp150) atomiser with up to a 140 MJ when running with modified airbox or 130’ish with standard Gp airbox. The 200 atomiser runs too rich through mid-range when fitted with suitably large MJ.

Not saying that this would sort your issues but might be worth a try.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3