LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

headset top rubbing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

headset top rubbing

Postby swissdean » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 pm

IMG_3402.JPG
Mightly miffed, did dry build and then assembled post paint, felt slight rub as i tried to fit throttle cable and this happened..it only happens on the rh side of the horncast as you look front on, not LH side..i have rubber grommets under the legshields on both sides and all holes line up lovely, good gap between top of horncast and base of headset and not sure I can lift the headset much higher..

this is an sx horn casting and sx headset on an li3 frame Ie had old round handlebar set)..

any experience or thoughts..i am on the verge of applying a dremel to underside of headset but this will mean new paint there also
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swissdean

Re: headset top rubbing

Postby gizmo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:14 pm

I've put washers on the legshields bracket before to take the legshields further back which will also take the horncasting back giving more clearance to the headset
gizmo

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Most probably it is being restricted at the casting badge fixing point.
Assuming the fixing tab on the fork tube is as far back as it will go then you could consider dremelling a bit off the back of the casting behind the badge fixing to allow it to sit back further.
Fast n Furious

Postby HxPaul » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:22 am

I have a series 3 with SX head and horncast.It's rubbed in exactly the same place,I think it must be the thickness of the paint in that area,I did as you and dry fit the whole lot before having it painted and it didn't rub.In the end I put a slight smear of paint on with a brush,it's been quite a few years since I painted it and so far it seems ok.
HxPaul

Postby swissdean » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:10 am

great suggestions, which i can see helping, will try, thanks a lot
swissdean

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3