LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Vega model 1968.

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

Vega model 1968.

Postby GianfraCh » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:48 pm

Im in the process of making a Vega (1968) run again after many years.

I was wondering if someone can recommend were to buy a HT coil. and which one is the right one? I know is a 6V one. I dont have a spark at the moment, I have cleaned the points and nothing. I changed the lead, cap and sparkplug and nothing. SoI am starting to think either the HT or the condenser are not working properly but I cannot find the right ones.

I also tested with a multimeter and I get some voltage going to the HT coil but nothing from the HT onwards.

Thanks for any help in advance on where I could find the right 6v HT and condenser!
GianfraCh

Re: Vega model 1968.

Postby missing lynx » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 pm

Is the flywheel still magnetic? If not that could be your problem
missing lynx

Postby GianfraCh » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:32 pm

missing lynx wrote:Is the flywheel still magnetic? If not that could be your problem

Hmm. I will double check that! thank you lynx!
GianfraCh

Postby coaster » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 pm

GianfraCh wrote:
missing lynx wrote:Is the flywheel still magnetic? If not that could be your problem

If you are seeing voltage into the coil when you kick it over it would suggest that the flywheel isnt completely demagnetised so you should get a spark even if its weak. Double check your points and condenser as its these that provice the 'trigger to fire the coil. You should be able to check that the points are opening and closing using a multitester set to ohms or by wiring a battery and lamp to operate through the contacts
coaster

Postby GianfraCh » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 pm

coaster wrote:
GianfraCh wrote:

If you are seeing voltage into the coil when you kick it over it would suggest that the flywheel isnt completely demagnetised so you should get a spark even if its weak. Double check your points and condenser as its these that provice the 'trigger to fire the coil. You should be able to check that the points are opening and closing using a multitester set to ohms or by wiring a battery and lamp to operate through the contacts

Thank you coaster. I took the flywheel out and the magnetism is very weak, but there is still a bit... so yeah I should get at least a weak spark. I made sure the points were cleaned and they do open at the right gap too. but nothing.. So I will pass onto swapping the condenser. Thank you !
GianfraCh

Postby coaster » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:46 pm

if you cant find an exact replacement, you can use one from another bike, I think they are the same electrically, youd just need to mount it extenally with the case earthed and extend the lead to run indide the stator. The function of them is to reduce the arking of the points. It wouldnt look very tidy but might allow you to get it running if on;y temporarily until you find a correct replacement
coaster

Postby GianfraCh » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:18 pm

coaster wrote:if you cant find an exact replacement, you can use one from another bike, I think they are the same electrically, youd just need to mount it extenally with the case earthed and extend the lead to run indide the stator. The function of them is to reduce the arking of the points. It wouldnt look very tidy but might allow you to get it running if on;y temporarily until you find a correct replacement

Alright I will look into that. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!! =)
GianfraCh

Return to Luna & J Range