LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Should I get stuck in or leave it another 4y

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

Re: Should I get stuck in or leave it another 4y

Postby Toddy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:43 am

Storkfoot wrote:
Toddy wrote:Interesting Thread Paul never been a Lui fan but it certainly looks interesteng , good luck with it and keep posting updates :D

Cheers, Paul. I suspect that I won’t be seeing the bodywork back from paint anytime soon, give the seriousness of the situation, but I am going to put in a couple of online orders to get as much stuff done as I can.

Me too looks like garage time now been sent home today
Toddy

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:50 pm

Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Oooo. Sexy.

So what next?
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Knowledge wrote:Oooo. Sexy.

So what next?

Overcoming issues with front hub and forks :cry:
Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:45 pm

Ahhh. A bit like Superhooper and his ochre DL.

Please feel free to compare notes with him, but leave me out of world of Hooper. He bought some parts from Scooter Resto this week and forgot to alter the delivery address since he last used SR and the parts turned up at my house.

:roll:
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:08 pm

Knowledge wrote:Ahhh. A bit like Superhooper and his ochre DL.

Please feel free to compare notes with him, but leave me out of world of Hooper. He bought some parts from Scooter Resto this week and forgot to alter the delivery address since he last used SR and the parts turned up at my house.

:roll:

:lol:

The hub has umpteen distance pieces and the wacky speedo drive. It’s easy to assemble it incorrectly. I think :?

I have tried to use the old fork springs and rods. Probably not a good idea. I’ll get there in the end :)
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Forks to go in next followed by headset base and engine.

I have rebuilt the forks again with new springs and rods. Probably just as well as, in comparison, the old springs had the strength of a biro spring. This has not resolved the wheel not being entirely central. Part of the issue is because one of the new bottom fork buffers has collapsed before the scooter has even been on the road :(
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:30 pm

And now to try and suss where all the cables go:

Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Taking shape 8-)
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:32 pm

coaster wrote:Taking shape 8-)

They are fiddly to put together, partially as they are so light. It’s quite good not having a Sticky’s manual though as it makes you think. I spent an hour or so this afternoon fixing errors I’d made before :)
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:25 pm

Finally, this weekend, it burst into life :D

I still need to strobe the timing, re-tap a thread in the headset so I can fit the headlight rim and fit the central tunnel. Then it’ll just be a wait for the first registration papers to come through.
Storkfoot

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:56 am

Looks really well Paul, nice one!

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:Looks really well Paul, nice one!

Rich'

Thanks, Rich. Considering what I started with, it doesn’t look too bad. Even once it is registered and on the road, it’ll still be a work in progress.

I have had it moving a short distance today but as I’d managed to partially strip the thread on one of the three holes to secure the flywheel, I didn’t want to start revving it too hard. Anyone with a Firefly ignition should proceed with caution as there is precious little “meat” in the flywheel boss where the bolts secure the actual flywheel.

Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:28 pm

Good progress Paul and I must say I like those soft jaws, never seen them comercially available, I made a set out of scrap ally angle but the fekin things fall off all the time :roll:
coaster

Postby Thackers » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:43 am

That looks very good Paul, you must be pleased with that. Fitting the centre beam, one of Innocenti's grand puzzles. You will not get it in without taking the headset off and upwards :shock: :shock: :shock: use plenty of masking tape on the frame and leg shields. Then all you have to do is pull your hair out and kick the cat trying to fit the beam rubbers and top U shaped rubber that sits under the head set. Some stick the rubbers on first others slide them on when its ready to tighten down. Good luck and I look forward to seeing it out on the road at a L.C.G.B rally this next year. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Thackers

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 am

Thackers wrote:That looks very good Paul, you must be pleased with that. Fitting the centre beam, one of Innocenti's grand puzzles. You will not get it in without taking the headset off and upwards :shock: :shock: :shock: use plenty of masking tape on the frame and leg shields. Then all you have to do is pull your hair out and kick the cat trying to fit the beam rubbers and top U shaped rubber that sits under the head set. Some stick the rubbers on first others slide them on when its ready to tighten down. Good luck and I look forward to seeing it out on the road at a L.C.G.B rally this next year. 8-) 8-) 8-)

I have the centre beam in. However, I wish I had included that as part of my dry build after the welding was done. There is no way the rubbers at either end are going on but that’s not the end of the world in my eyes :)
Storkfoot

Postby trotsky » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Top job Paul. That has come out very nice mate. 8-)
trotsky

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:41 pm

trotsky wrote:Top job Paul. That has come out very nice mate. 8-)

Thanks, mate. It does look nice as long as you don’t look too closely :P

Exhaust looks a bit rough but I want to make sure it works with the tune before I paint or powder coat it.

DVLA still haven’t cashed my cheque so heaven knows when I’ll get a V5 through.
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:29 pm

Well, that was my first ever ride on a Vega. A handwritten registration plate and away we went for a 5 mile journey around local roads. I think it was 5 miles, however, the speedo cable has broken already :roll:

I was mindful that it needs running in but this will be assisted by having to rev it up and down the gears anyway, just to keep it moving :)

On the plus side, it was a comfy ride (I am only 5’7”) whilst cruising at 30 in 4th :P Also, nothing fell off :!:

The downside was a difficult gear change which, along with having to keep it in the revs, made acceleration cumbersome. Having said that, maybe I was expecting a little too much from 75cc. The barrel has been tweaked and one set of baffles removed. I have upped the main jet but haven’t done anything about improving the airflow through the carb. So, maybe a culmination of a lack of back pressure and a strangled airflow is hampering it, along with not having been run in :D

Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Looks fantastic mate, nice job 8-)
coaster

PreviousNext

Return to Luna & J Range