LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

confused clutch

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

confused clutch

Postby mickey c » Sat May 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Although about a vega, I wonder if anyone has had similar issues with a bigger Lambretta, e.g. When fitting a 5 or 6 plate clutch? The original 3 plate was mullered by the 140 conversion within 80 miles. I've squooze a 4 plate clutch in (with MB springs) but now just loose enough to allow the kick start to engage won't allow the scooter to be held in gear on the clutch. Is binding & slipping at the same time the correct term?
My only hunch is could the corks have dried out? I did soak them in oil for about a week but they then sat in open engine for months whilst I got stuck on other repairs.
Any ideas before I strip.it again are gratefully received.
mickey c

Re: confused clutch

Postby Scooterdude » Sat May 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Not enough space between corks to allow oil to get in resulting in clutch dragging and overheating plates at the same time. Try thinner steels if you can get them but it still may be to late to salvage the cork plates.
Scooterdude

Re: confused clutch

Postby mickey c » Sat May 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks scooter dude, they did have over 1 mm play when clutch compressed but fear you are right! I’ve only been up & down my road so hoping i’ve not fried anything. It does sound like another engine strip is required!
mickey c

Return to Luna & J Range