LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Cento Cylinder rebore or replace ?

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

Cento Cylinder rebore or replace ?

Postby 57Speedster » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi, My 64 Cento engine seems to be lacking power, (doesn't like hills). When I rebuilt the engine, I was concentrating on the gearbox and all the oil seals, but I did install a new crank and conrod. The original cylinder and piston seemed OK, (still at the standard 51.0 mm size, never been rebored), so just got new piston rings. I'm now thinking that the cylinder and piston may be worn and this could be causing the lack of power.
Does anyone still do a cylinder rebore service ? New (SIL) Cylinders and Borgo or Mahle pistons are readily available and seem reasonably priced, so is replacement the way to go ? Any advice much appreciated
Cheers
57Speedster

Re: Cento Cylinder rebore or replace ?

Postby ITK » Mon May 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Delayed reply I know, but if you've still not sorted it then the likes of Readspeed offer a rebore service if you need it. Best advice is a get a price for the rebore - plus new piston and rings - and weigh that up against a complete new top end from Scooter Restorations.
Cheers, Andy
ITK

Postby mickey c » Mon May 04, 2020 11:35 pm

A rebore & tune should give you more power or put one of those new CP135 kits on, reportedly they will give you more oomph!
mickey c

Postby 57Speedster » Wed May 06, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks both for that advice. I have just bought a NOS Innocenti Cento Cylinder, so will get a new Piston and maybe splash-out on a new cylinder head too. these should complement the new crank, and hopefully restore the performance.
57Speedster

Return to Luna & J Range