LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Flywheel Nut

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

Flywheel Nut

Postby Creative Native » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Help please!!
Can someone tell me the correct size socket to remove the stator side flywheel nut? 17mm is loose and 16mm won't go on. It looks as though the previous owner used a cold chisel to bash the nut on :(
I've used hammer drill, long levers and the nut just won't budge, any more force and somethings going to break.

I assume it is a right hand thread??
Creative Native

Re: Flywheel Nut

Postby Mark esq » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Lefthand thread do yourself a favour buy stickys manual
Mark esq

Postby Sticky » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:05 pm

Mark esq wrote:Lefthand thread do yourself a favour buy stickys manual

Cheers Mark for the vote of confidence. Not going to post a link but you can find the book in the SLUK shop.

Postby Phil D » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Stickys has seriously saved me a fortune and saves a load of hassle the best £20 you will ever spend !
I constantly refer to it .
Thanks Sticky.
Phil D

Postby Sticky » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:30 pm

Phil D wrote:Stickys has seriously saved me a fortune and saves a load of hassle the best £20 you will ever spend !
I constantly refer to it .
Thanks Sticky.

Cheers Phil. Any chance you can leave that as a review here please: http://www.scooterlab.uk/product/complete-spanners-manual-lambretta-second-edition/

Postby Creative Native » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Oops :shock:
I'll have a right job now, the nut must be well and truly jammed on after spending all that time thinking I was undoing the stupid thing. Then again, you could argue I'm the stupid thing for not knowing it's a left hand thread :lol:

Next stop, one of Stickys manuals me thinks ;)

Thanks for the advice chaps.
Creative Native

Postby Knowledge » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:38 pm

Err Guys,

Sticky's book doesn't cover the Lune and J range of scooters. ^
Knowledge

Postby petemaisey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:07 pm

Please, please use the crank thread protector on the threads before applying the extractor.

Pete
petemaisey

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:15 pm

That book looks too clean. Mines a real mess
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby Creative Native » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:38 pm

Knowledge wrote:Err Guys,

Sticky's book doesn't cover the Lune and J range of scooters. ^
petemaisey wrote:Please, please use the crank thread protector on the threads before applying the extractor.

Pete

Is the LUI engine generic to some extent with other Lambretta engines? Surely there must be some crossover, ref gearbox, engine layout etc. Will Sticky's book at least be slightly beneficial??

where do I get a crank thread protector? Is it a screw on tube or similar??
Creative Native

Postby Phil D » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Not sure about lui layout as they've never really floated my boat but stickys is on offer at SLUK and is worth every penny .
Last edited by Phil D on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil D

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:27 pm

The Lambretta Workshop Manuals are, to my knowledge, the only source of written information on the Luna line.
Storkfoot

Postby ladsdad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi
Just out of interest, why are you trying to remove your flywheel's nut? I'm guessing your next question will be how do I remove the flywheel, mag housing etc.... There are loads of people on here who can give you the correct advice or at least point you in the right direction. If you are contemplating some sort of strip down it would be a good idea to check you have all the tools/info/skills before getting stuck in & break something that will be difficult/expensive to replace...

Good luck tho ;) ;) Mark.

Btw agree Sticky's manual is a must have, even if only some of it relevant to your Lambretta

Also... what's a thread protector??
ladsdad

Postby Creative Native » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:23 pm

The reason? I've just purchased an LUI 50C for the missus. I've stripped the scoot frame down and this is now at the painters being prepped for respray. The engine is on the bench and I plan to fit a 75cc conversion kit with Variatronic or Casatronic ignition, hence the reason for removing the flywheel.

I will require a hub puller or specific jig to remove the flywheel off what is I assume, a tapered shaft with woodruff key?

I have access to full machine shop facilities with a comprehensive range of tools. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, so should have realised my original mistake by not knowing the flywheel nut could / should have been a left hand thread :oops:
Creative Native

Postby ladsdad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Well for a start you'll need a flywheel puller when the nuts off, a standard double ended Lambretta puller will do the job. The only specific tool you will probably need if you intend removing & upgrading the crank(and you definitely should) is a mag flange puller. Somebody may be able to borrow you one or seeing as you have workshop facilities, you may have something suitable or be able to make one. Regarding skills, if you own/maintain the nsu prima d in your avatar then you should be ok unraveling the mysteries of the lui engine.....
ladsdad

Postby EddieStone » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:30 am

I hope there's a proper flywheel holder being used as well, makes the job much easier.
EddieStone

Postby Creative Native » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm

ladsdad wrote:Well for a start you'll need a flywheel puller when the nuts off, a standard double ended Lambretta puller will do the job. The only specific tool you will probably need if you intend removing & upgrading the crank(and you definitely should) is a mag flange puller. Somebody may be able to borrow you one or seeing as you have workshop facilities, you may have something suitable or be able to make one. Regarding skills, if you own/maintain the nsu prima d in your avatar then you should be ok unraveling the mysteries of the lui engine.....

Does that mean the standard 50cc crank is not strong enough for a 75cc conversion? Is the standard 75cc crank different?

Regarding the 1957 NSU Prima D in my Avator, yes I do own it, but cannot pretend responsibility for the ground up re-build. Frank Sanderson of Lambretta Innovations (now Scomadi) took the scoot and modified the frame to accept a 180cc air cooled 2 stroke Piaggio engine. I wanted to retain the original engine, but it was woefully low on power with not much in the way of tuning. The rest of the scoot is all original and at least I can now get me and the missus up hills with a modicum of reliability ;) :lol:
Creative Native

Postby ladsdad » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:46 pm

I don't know if the cranks are different but I'm betting that they probably are, I'm sure someone on here will know for definite, but it would definitely be good practice to get it out because you're going to want to change the crank seals seeing as the're probably best part of 40 years old..... If it was me doing the rebuild I'd have it down to a bare case & replace all the service items like bearings/seals/clutch plates etc, if you don't & take someone's word for it it's only going to end in disappointment & knock the shine off Lambretta ownership. Take some advice off whoever you're buying you're kit from about what they recommend you also upgrade to get the best from your purchase.

Cheers Mark
ladsdad

Postby Digger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:22 pm

Paulnobodyimportant wrote:That book looks too clean. Mines a real mess

I've got two - one for the garage one for the bookshelf...
Digger

Postby Creative Native » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:00 pm

ladsdad wrote:I don't know if the cranks are different but I'm betting that they probably are, I'm sure someone on here will know for definite, but it would definitely be good practice to get it out because you're going to want to change the crank seals seeing as the're probably best part of 40 years old..... If it was me doing the rebuild I'd have it down to a bare case & replace all the service items like bearings/seals/clutch plates etc, if you don't & take someone's word for it it's only going to end in disappointment & knock the shine off Lambretta ownership. Take some advice off whoever you're buying you're kit from about what they recommend you also upgrade to get the best from your purchase.

Cheers Mark

That's a good question, who should I buy the kit from?

So far, I've found various outlets selling random parts and only Rimini appearing to sell the full monty. Although I've just purchased a number of bits from Rimini, I'd prefer to deal with someone a little closer to home. When re-building my NSU Prima D, I could only purchase the requisite parts from NSU Motzke in Germany and the experience was less than wonderful when verbally communicating ;)

Who would you recommend for a reliable supplier of the components and have the necessary professional advice?
Creative Native

Next

Return to Luna & J Range