LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Flywheel Nut

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

Re: Flywheel Nut

Postby ladsdad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:33 pm

If you Google Casa Lambretta, I would say most of the shops on the first page should be able to help you out. I've personally had parts from most of them & if you stick to the larger dealers I'm sure you'll get sorted. In fact if you buy the manual everybody's recommending there's a list of reputable dealers in there as well..

Good hunting....Mark.

Btw I'm surprised you're not getting more posts from people who are in the process, or have rebuilt Luna line models... perhaps you should start a new thread specifically about your engine build so you can gather as much info as possible..
ladsdad

Postby mickey c » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:50 am

I'm coming to this thread late & will sound a little negative I'm afraid in answering some earlier questions. Firstly the Lui' 50 cranks & vega / cometa 75 cranks are different as are the gearboxes and many other parts. Neither have (m)any parts that are interchangeable with 'bigger' lambrettas.

I have managed to use big lammie tools to rebuild a vega engine and whilst not all ideal for Luna line it sounds like you have lots of mechanical expertise so I am sure will be fine. Where are you geographically? I'm happy to lend 'stuff' if you are around / pass Manchester area.

I can also suggest searching the German lambretta club website as they have Lui & vega manuals that you can download as a pdf.

Good luck with it and as suggested earlier, a thread on the build will produce lots more advice should you need it.

Mike
mickey c

Postby Creative Native » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm now confused, the below information is lifted off the Rimini Lambretta website and lists only the below parts for converting an LUI 50. No mention of requiring a different crankshaft as part of the 75cc conversion?

Engine:
Casa 75cc barrel kit (X3)
RLC close ratio gear cluster (RLC056)
3 plate clutch set-up (M131)
15T front sprocket (X29)
Iwis 76 link chain (M141bz)
Vega Lui Cometa 75cc airfilter box unit (B54)
6 pole J125 electrics and normally we’d fit a 15mm carb kit (X16)
Details:
The 1.5bhp engine is so slow the scooter could actually take root. The ‘Upgade Recipe’ is pretty much the same each time and consists of ; Casa 75cc barrel kit (X3), RLC close ratio gear cluster (RLC056), 3 plate clutch set-up (M131), 15T front sprocket (X29), Iwis 76 link chain (M141bz), 6 pole J125 electrics and normally we’d fit a 15mm carb kit (X15).
Creative Native

Postby petemaisey » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:02 pm

Creative Native wrote:
Knowledge wrote:Err Guys,

Sticky's book doesn't cover the Lune and J range of scooters. ^
petemaisey wrote:Please, please use the crank thread protector on the threads before applying the extractor.

Pete

Is the LUI engine generic to some extent with other Lambretta engines? Surely there must be some crossover, ref gearbox, engine layout etc. Will Sticky's book at least be slightly beneficial??

where do I get a crank thread protector? Is it a screw on tube or similar??

Yes the thread protector is a screw on tube. Make one from a spare flywheel nut, (grind it down and knurl).

Pete
petemaisey

Postby mickey c » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Sorry if I have caused confusion, I was only trying to stress not to assume parts from other Lambrettas will fit a Lui. Even parts from a Vega won't fit, for example the crank won't without changing loads of other stuff!

The kit you list is for the Lui & although I've not bought / used one, I believe it will bolt straight onto your wife's scooter and reports I have read say give greater performance. I'll try to find some reviews of it and post them.
mickey c

Postby mickey c » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:32 pm

Best I could find was link to the Luna site which normally has good info but little on the conversion, most went down more complicated routes for more cc's & speed.

I don't face book so no idea what it says but apparently a how to guide for what your are doing, hope it helps!

http://lunaownersclub.lifediscussion.ne ... i-50-to-75
mickey c

Postby Creative Native » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks for the link, I think it's a longer version of the copy and paste parts list I opened my new thread with.

Rimini Lambretta do seem to have a good knowledge base with plenty of LUI parts for sale. Hopefully, someone on this forum would have performed the conversion and will be able to enlighten me accordingly.
Creative Native

Postby 57Speedster » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:49 pm

ladsdad wrote:Also... what's a thread protector??

The Tread protector is a cap which fits over the end of the crankshaft after removing the nut. It protects the threaded end of the crankshaft when you apply force to the flywheel puller, especially if the flywheel is a tight fit on the taper. Without the protector, there is a risk that the puller will splay the end of the crank, so the nut won't go back on. J range crank is smaller diameter at the nut end than other Lambretta models, so needs this extra protection. The original protector is hard to find, but they can easily be made on a lathe, its just a cap which fits snugly over the threaded part. Mine was made by a local engineering workshop, simple (therefore cheap), in Stainless steel, but mild steel works too, it has a small depression in the closed end, to help centre the bolt in the puller.
57Speedster

Previous

Return to Luna & J Range